Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rlansing
Resolver I
Resolver I

Unexpected Error: Cannot read property 'singleVisual" of undefined

Hello,

I am having an issue with my PBIX file. I have recently changed my data model. I took one large table and split it into two, by dividing the product characteristics and weekly sales data. It dramatically shrank the size of my PBIX, which is what I was trying to do, because the product characteristics were being repeated on every row of data.

Anyway, because of the change, I can no longer access a certain page of the report. It is throwing an error that I cannot get around. It seems like an infinite loop issue, unfortunately. When I try to delete the page, I keep getting popups.

The first one says: "Unexpected Error: Cannot read property 'singleVisual' of undefined"

Then it loops with this error: "Unexpected Error: [$rootScope:inprog] $digest already in progress http://errors.angularjs.org/1.4.7/$rootScope/inprog?p0=%24digest"

Any ideas? I have tried changing the PBIX into a zip, and changing the section that refers to this page, or removing it altogether, but it causes corruption because I don't completely know what to do.

If necessary, I can delete and remake the page, but I don't want to lose the whole PBIX file.

What can I do?

Thank you in advance,

Bobby

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rlansing
Resolver I
Resolver I

I have found a workaround to this problem:

- I took an older version of the dashboard that was saved before i changed my data model. I made a copy of it and changed the PBIX extension to ZIP and then placed all of the root files from my new data model file into this older file. So the layout file remained the same, but the data model file as well as all of the other files in the root folder were overwritten with the new files.

- Then I rezipped it, and renamed it to PBIX and opened the file. The file opened with no errors and I simply had to fix a few visuals that could no longer find their field and voila!

I hope this helps anyone else out. It looks like editting the files in notepad can easily cause corruption, but moving files around seems like an option for now.

In the future, it would be nice if the program had more error-handling to prevent looping pop up errors.

Thank you,

Bobby

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
akjana
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@rlansing Can you send a frown about this bug ?

I sent a frown of the second error, but was unable to catch the first one. I will try to replicate and send it today.

I just received this same error yesterday, and stupidly saved the file.  So on the bright side, I can reproduce it, and have sent a frowny in this morning with all the details, including what I believe I did when it occurred (converting a table to a matrix and manipulating rows and columns).

I hope this information helps solve the problem.  I unfortunately may need to start over with a new file, as the error has stopped any ability to use the reports view.

Regards,

Brian

rlansing
Resolver I
Resolver I

I have found a workaround to this problem:

- I took an older version of the dashboard that was saved before i changed my data model. I made a copy of it and changed the PBIX extension to ZIP and then placed all of the root files from my new data model file into this older file. So the layout file remained the same, but the data model file as well as all of the other files in the root folder were overwritten with the new files.

- Then I rezipped it, and renamed it to PBIX and opened the file. The file opened with no errors and I simply had to fix a few visuals that could no longer find their field and voila!

I hope this helps anyone else out. It looks like editting the files in notepad can easily cause corruption, but moving files around seems like an option for now.

In the future, it would be nice if the program had more error-handling to prevent looping pop up errors.

Thank you,

Bobby

Hello, I have the same problem but I didn't save an older version of my dashboard. What I can do for solve the problem? The problem starts to appear since I update to the new version of Power BI Desktop.Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.