Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RichardV
Advocate II
Advocate II

Undo (dynamic) row level security with a DAX filter?

Hi,

At the moment I am having the following challenge. I hope someone can help me.

I would like to create a report, and embed it in the portal. I am planning to use (dynamic) role level security to make sure each user sees only their own data. However, it is a requirement that users want to see average values of the other users as a benchmark. In other words, we need to "undo" the row level security filter for one or two measures.

One way to overcome this issue, is to create different tables, and apply role level security to selected tables only.

However, this will make modeling more complex. Therefore my question:

Is it possible to undo the dynamic role level security filter with a DAX formula?

That way we can create one report for multiple users, and each can make use of benchmark data, in which data of the other users will be used.

Many thanks in advance,

Richard

7 REPLIES 7
luisgarcia
Regular Visitor

As my screenshot shows. You can obtain the behaviour you want by setting your RLS on a table not connected to your model. This table is used as a filter in your report and you synchronize this filter with another (hidden in view) filter that uses the column that actually transfers filters down to your fact table. In essence, you have RLS on what users can select, but not on what underlaying data is available for your measures. The only problem with this method is that you should disable analyze in excel mode, otherwise the IT savy users may bypass your RLS setup.

Presentation1.png

mpsrshl
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hey there, 

Depending on your RLS model applied, in my case I had to apply a measure that compares the value of an employee filtered after RLS in a separate and detached table against the data model. The new Filter experience helps as well if you just want to turn visuals into RLS by using a measure with a detached employee table by adding that filter to the visual and hiding it for view. Whichever way there will be some challenges. 

I hope it helps. 

I am too having the same issue with a small varient:

I have global data that I need everyone to see, it contains geographical information. Its the same values that everyone must see but then everyone must then see there own data. RLS its giving me all or nothing and i need this section for everyone to see then everyone get their own data. 

So: Provider to be sourced, all to see 

but under the same column is the individual providers which is what im filtering on my RLS.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Jimmy

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@RichardV

Once Row Level Security is applied, the table context is filtered, so your calculation will only take the context with accessing users' own data only. And the internal working of Power BI is a Tabular model, there's no "Enable Visual Total" feature like Multidimensional Model. So it's not possible to undo RLS on any specific DAX formula.

For your requirement, I suggest you add a calculated column to get the average on ALL table. Since the calculated column is along with row leve, you can still get correct result when RLS is applied.

44.PNG

45.PNG

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft

Many thanks for your response. I can see that it has taken some time to make an example for me, which I and my team highly appreciate. I have just another requirement.

In our benchmark values E.G. average sales amount of all users, which can be created by a calculated column we need to filter, we need to exclude the sales amount of the users viewing the report. That way, the user can benchmark him/herself to other users.

Do you know if a calculated column can be made to exclude the data from the user viewing the data via RLS?

If this is not possible, we might have to think about copying parts of our tables or do no use RLS at all, but just make 100 different reports for our users.

Many thanks in advance!  

By the way, we are using a SSAS tabular model

Hi Richard, 

I am having exactly the same requirement. 

Were you able to solve this? I'd really appreciate your help. 

Cheers, Edgar Walther
ITsmart BI and Analytics consultant

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors