Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Wouter1

Understanding the KPI visual (distance to goal)

So I recently ran into a problem with the Power Bi KPI visual. I got two KPI's, one is good when it's higer, the other good when it's lower than the previous year.

In the formatting pane, I configured them to show the "Goal" and also the "Distance". Now it is this this "distance" that I can't understand. As you can see in the image, the KPI on the right has a negative percentage. This appeared when I configured the KPI as "Lower is good".

So I see to possible meanings for this "distance".

1. How much more or less the current value is than your target/threshold value.
  2. How much you currently have to gain or lose to achieve your target/threshold value.

fout.PNG

For the KPI on the right, logic 1 sounds right. For the other one it's logic 2. So there seems to be a problem. From what I can see, the distance value shouldn't change from positive to negative because you adjust the "Higher is good" setting. There should not be a connection in my mind.

So Anyone here with an explanation for me? Or is this maybe a bug?

4 REPLIES 4
cgeraeds
Advocate I
Advocate I

You can actually circumvent this problem.

• Change the KPI configuration to Higher is good. 
    Now the distance is good but the colour is not.
  • Therefore change the configuration of the colours the other way around:
  • Good = Red colour 
  • Neutral = Yellow colour 
  • Bad = Green colour

Should work like you wish now.

PowerBI_Yonghu
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue. When you say lower is good, the trend automatically change the sign which is not a good thing. 

One solution is to still use higher is good, the flip the green to red and red to green. 

But still the check sign become bad meaning and ! become good. Just not making sense.

Please fix.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have exact the same question.

First why Microsoft does not allow configuring % thresholds like Below 80% target Red, Between 81%-99% Amber and 100%+ Green.

It is not a hard thing. But it looks like there is a esoteric black box that decides the color outcome.

At least if we could know the triggers for each color, even if configuring is not alowed.

Regards

Pedro

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Wouter1,

I'm not clarify for your data and measure formula, can you please share these for test?

>>From what I can see, the distance value shouldn't change from positive to negative because you adjust the "Higher is good" setting. There should not be a connection in my mind.

Based on you screenshot I know current value is less than previous, kpi calculation formula should similar as (current -previous)/current. (I test with your data and get result -0.601377..)

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.