Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Understanding a Conflicting Filter Situation

Hello,

I have a conflicting filter situation that I'm having trouble understanding. I would appreciate any help.

I have a date table, a fact table, and a users table.

Here are the relationships in place:

• The date table has a 1:n relationship with the fact table on a date column.
  • The users table has a 1:n relationship with the fact table on a user column.

I'm wanting to filter a display by both the date column from my date table and the user column from my users table. However, ever time I try to filter by the user column from the users table, the date filter empties out. For some reason, I can't filter by both the date and the user (from the users table).

What could be causing this?

Some potential causes I've thought of:

1. My users table has relationships with other fact tables and those fact tables also have a relationship with the date table on the date column. Could this be causing issues?
  2. My users table has some rows that don't have any rows in the fact table. Could this be causing issues?

Thanks for your time.

-Caleb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , do you have a bi-directional relationship? If yes, make them single direction. This should not happen in case the date is coming from the date table and the user from the user table in a single direction relationship.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , do you have a bi-directional relationship? If yes, make them single direction. This should not happen in case the date is coming from the date table and the user from the user table in a single direction relationship.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak , the fact table I am currently working with doesn't have a bi-directional relationship.

However, one of the other fact tables that is connecting to the user and date table does have a bi-directional relationship between the fact and date table. I have found that when I remove the users table relationship to this particular fact table, then I can filter by both the user column and date table.

I don't understand bi-directional relationships enough to understand why this causes a conflict with the filter. I'll have to learn more to understand this.

But more importantly, now I need to understand why PowerBI is forcing this one fact table to have a bi-directional relationship with the date table. I am unable to do a single direction relationship for some reason. I will research this, but if you have any thoughts on this, I'm all ears.

Thank you for your quick response and help!

-Caleb

@Anonymous ,what error does it give when change the date table relation single directional.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.