Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

petersi
Helper II
Helper II

Understanding Paramters

I have submitted multiple questions that are around a central concept I am trying to determine if it is available in Power BI. I am in the process of having a report that work on two different DB Queries. Each query is specific and there is no overlap. I have built two reports to work on associated data (from  the DB queries), BUT the report is exactly the same. From what I understand when a Power BI report is launched the first step is retrieval of the data for the report (via data rtetrieval operations). What I'm trying to determine is if there is a way to provide a specific paramter selection [UI] so that the user can select a certain type of data to view within a report. When the use selects the value for the paramter the report in effect would re generate. From what I can perceive, this does ot appear to be possible as any filtering is based on the loaded dataset and not oriented around forcing a refresh of the report (down to the data retrieval operation). Is this correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petersi
Helper II
Helper II

t appears people seem to not understand the question - or choose not to spend time trying to understand what is being requested. I beleive my perception is corrrect and that once a report is launched the data retrieved is the data used during the report. With templates you can get a user selectable assignement to a paramter - but no dynmaic capabilities once the report is launched. Understanding this concept better I believe the technique to handle my situation would be to prepare datasets that contain all the data required - then build a field that could be used in filtering activity (on the loaded data). Which is what I have done.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petersi
Helper II
Helper II

t appears people seem to not understand the question - or choose not to spend time trying to understand what is being requested. I beleive my perception is corrrect and that once a report is launched the data retrieved is the data used during the report. With templates you can get a user selectable assignement to a paramter - but no dynmaic capabilities once the report is launched. Understanding this concept better I believe the technique to handle my situation would be to prepare datasets that contain all the data required - then build a field that could be used in filtering activity (on the loaded data). Which is what I have done.

It appears people seem to not understand how to raise a topic. Or choose not to spend time trying to explain their issue.

Where is your relevant code, example data, screen shots, video?

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

In the Query Editor you can define and use parameters in your queries. You can access and change the parameters from the visualizations, after which you are prompt to refresh the queries to reflect the changed value of the parameter.

In this video an example where you get local date/times of the events during the Olympic Winter Games 2018, in the Windows time zone that is determined by a parameter. 

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.