Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Winwin
Frequent Visitor

Unbelivable low performance

Hi,

I am a total newbie to Power Bi and it is my project to be done in Power Bi. I was asked in my work to move our reporting tool from Excel to Power Bi. The input consists of 8 spreadsheets with 2.4k rows and 15 columns each. Those are financial data so e.g. the exposure at loan, borrower or division level. I have not faced any problems with upload of a file to Power Bi. I have done 12 visuals and created 6 measures (e.g. average LTV weighted with exposure or average duration weighted with exposure). All measures are based only on SUM formula. And then it has become nearly impossible to work on this tool anymore. It takes 30 minutes to create new chart, when 3 minutes I spend on working and next 27 minutes to wit until Power Bi responds. 

I checked tutorials in the internet. So every ID is a number. All not necessary columns have been removed. Most of the columns have only numbers. Only a few of them have text values. As I said earlier, all calculations are based on SUM formula (small calculations (e.g. Product) are done in the excel and uploaded in the input files.

I have no idea what's going on with this file. Excel deals with this input in 1 second but here it takes ~ 20 minutes to do anything.

I would appreciate any help or advice. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It sounds like it has something to do with the Locale settings. Take a look at

Options -> Data Load (Under Current File) -> Q&A

See if that is checked if so uncheck it.

Q&A.png

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Winwin ,

When the refresh is in fact slow or crash, it can be due to several reasons:

• Insufficient CPU (refresh can be very CPU-intensive).
  • Insufficient memory, resulting in refresh pausing (which requires the refresh to start over when conditions are favorable to recommence).
  • Non-capacity reasons, including data source system responsiveness, network latency, invalid permissions or gateway throughput. You may increase the capacity for workspaces to increase the model refresh parallelism frequency.
  • Data volume - a good reason to configure incremental refresh, Incremental refresh can significantly reduce data refresh duration, especially for large model tables. See more: Incremental refresh in Power BI Premium .

See more details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/whitepaper-powerbi-premium-deployment#why-are-refreshes-sl....

Please try to update the Power BI Desktop to the latest version. You may try to restart the Power BI Desktop or computer.

You can learn more about improving performance: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-reports-performance#optimize-your-model.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, many thanks for your reply.

I found out that the problem appears when I cross the border. When I work in the office in Poland, PowerBi (which was installed in theEnglish version) works rather smoothly. The problem exists when I fly to Germany and work from the office located there. 

Do you have any thoughts on what can be the reason of such problems?

It sounds like it has something to do with the Locale settings. Take a look at

Options -> Data Load (Under Current File) -> Q&A

See if that is checked if so uncheck it.

Q&A.png

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.