Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TrishMummert
Regular Visitor

Unable to use Get Data in Power BI Desktop

No matter what source I choose (Excel, Access or SQL Server), I am able to see the data in the Navigator window when I choose the source and select the sheet/table, but every time I click the Load button I get the following error:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An external component returned an error (HRESULT = ). '.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the 64-bit version of Power BI Desktop and am using the 64-bit version of Office 365 in a Windows 10 environment.

Power BI Desktop version 2.79.5768.663 64-bit (March 2020)

Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 OS build 18362.719

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TrishMummert Hopefully this helps you: I was using the MS Store version of Power BI Desktop. I uninstalled it and re-installed the one you can download here and it's working: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
TrishMummert
Regular Visitor

No matter what source I choose (Excel, Access or SQL Server), I am able to see the data in the Navigator window when I choose the source and select the sheet/table, but every time I click the Load button I get the following error: 

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An external component returned an error (HRESULT = ). '.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the 64-bit version of Power BI Desktop and am using the 64-bit version of Office 365 in a Windows 10 environment.

I would appreciate any assistance in getting this resolved.

Yeah, if this is in the Desktop, that is odd behavior. 

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm running into the same issue: "Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An external component returned an error (HRESULT = ). '."

I do not see this exact issue listed on the issues page. Unable to do my work because of this at the moment 😥.

Power BI version = 2.79.5768.663 64-bit (March 2020)

Windows 10 Pro 1909, build 18363.720, 64-bit

I just posted it there.  Hopefully we can get it resolved, vincentcadoret.

Hi @TrishMummert ,

maybe a virus scanner is blocking the writing process?

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

That's a good idea, but it did not work.  Neither does running Power BI as administrator.

edhans
Super User
Super User

You've done just about all of the troubleshooting you can with the uninstall. I assume you did the uninstall/reboot/reinstall? Sometimes the Reboot is key.

Next step is open a support ticket. See link at bottom of this page.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

I did do that, yes.  Unfortunately it did not resolve the problem. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TrishMummert Hopefully this helps you: I was using the MS Store version of Power BI Desktop. I uninstalled it and re-installed the one you can download here and it's working: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

Thanks @Anonymous.  That worked for me as well!

A quick note to some of you who might struggle a little past the initial solution to uninstall and reinstall.

I had Power BI installed TWICE, presumably once from the store and once from a manual install from the past. The steps I took to resolve this were:

1. Uninstall both

2. Reboot. 

3. Install from the link above. 

4. Reboot. 

Those steps resolved my situation. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.