Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

birudvora
Frequent Visitor

Unable to use Date Slicer in measure effectively.

Hi,

I am trying to use Date Slicer in the Measure but unable to do it successfully. I have explained my problem below. I appreciate if someone can look into this.

Table Columns: Date (Last date of the month), Portfolio Id, Manager, % Return

Slicer: I have Date Slicer in the report. I take Min Date and Max Date from that Date Slicer.  

Measure Average Return:  This measure calculates % Average Return for the date selected. 

Chart: Clustered Column Chart to show Measure AverageReturn by Manager.

Goal: I only want to include those portfolios for which data is available for all the months selected in the Date Slicer. For example if date slicer has selected entire 2017 & 2018. Then I want to include only those portfolios where we have data for all 24 months. 

Issue: The chart includes all the Portfolios even if data is not available for all the months.

Measures I have created to achieve this: 

maxdate = calculate(MAX(Data[Date]),ALLSELECTED())
mindate = calculate(min(Data[Date]),ALLSELECTED())

nMonths = CountRows('Data') This correctly calculates number months for which data is available

FilteredNMonths =

(Year([maxdate]) - Year([mindate]))*12 + MONTH([maxdate]) - Month([mindate])+1

This correctly calculates number of months Date Filter has selected.

Return = PRODUCT(Data[% Return])

AverageReturn = 

averagex(filter(SUMMARIZE(Data, Data[PorfolioId], "toAverage", [Return]),[nMonths]=[FilteredNMonths]),[Return])

Many Thanks for looking into this.

-
Birud
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Have a month year column in your table too. Take a count distinct of that. Count distinct of that should be equal to date diff on min and max dates . Even Month-year of date table should work

AverageReturn = 
var _maxdate = calculate(MAX(Data[Date]),ALLSELECTED())
var _mindate = calculate(min(Data[Date]),ALLSELECTED())
var _diff = datediff(mindate,maxdate,month)
return
averagex(filter(SUMMARIZE(Data, Data[PorfolioId], "toAverage", [Return],"_dist" ,distinctcount(data[Month-year])),[_dist]=_diff),[Return])

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Have a month year column in your table too. Take a count distinct of that. Count distinct of that should be equal to date diff on min and max dates . Even Month-year of date table should work

AverageReturn = 
return
averagex(filter(SUMMARIZE(Data, Data[PorfolioId], "toAverage", [Return],"_dist" ,distinctcount(data[Month-year])),[_dist]=_diff),[Return])

@amitchandak wrote:

AverageReturn = 
return

Hi Amit,

Thank you for the solution. This worked perfectly for us.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.