cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fchen83 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Unable to start Power BI Desktop. A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running.

I have been getting this error whenever I try to start Power BI Desktop.

It sits at the load screen for a while then give me that error.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Power BI and running updates on my OS but nothing is working.

5 REPLIES 5
pbiozkan Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Unable to start Power BI Desktop. A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running

Hi,

Have you tried this one?

zoloturu
Advisor

Re: Unable to start Power BI Desktop. A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running

Hi @fchen83,

Could you provide details:

1. Version of your OS (system, 32/64 bit)
  2. Screenshot of the error.
  3. Text description of this error (expand it if it is hidden).
  4. Do you receive this error when starting PBI Desktop from scratch or you are opening existing .pbix file?
fchen83 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

1. Version of your OS (system, 32/64 bit) : 64 Bit Windows 10
  2. Screenshot of the error. Power BI Error.PNG
  3. Text description of this error (expand it if it is hidden) : N/A
  4. Do you receive this error when starting PBI Desktop from scratch or you are opening existing .pbix file? I receive this error when I start PBI Desktop from scratch.
zoloturu
Advisor

@fchen83,

There is SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) instance behind each PBI file (new or existing one). Your error is 99% related to this SSAS engine. 

One of cases can be that your firewall, brandmauer or anti-virus is blocking it. Refer to these links:

1.  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174937(v=sql.110).aspx 
  2.  https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/e3a5f79d-8c7d-40e1-b726-b7bf0dd828d3/a-conn...
zoloturu
Advisor

@fchen83,

There is also an option to Send a frown. This button appears in most of cases near to error message. I don't see it in your case. I've sent it sometimes before and I have an e-mail address and some recommendation for you.

Prepare  and send an e-mail:

• To: pbidesfb@microsoft.com
  • Topic: Send a Frown (Error) - 2/28/2018 10:22:37 PM  //paste your date and time of error here
  • Body: You explanation of situation, version of PBI Desktop (32/64 bit)
  • Attachments: screenshots step by step how you receive an issue

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

PBI Community Highlights

PBI Community Highlights

Check out what's new in the Power BI Community!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 1,235 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: