Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

fchen83
Employee
Employee

Unable to start Power BI Desktop. A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running.

I have been getting this error whenever I try to start Power BI Desktop.

It sits at the load screen for a while then give me that error.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Power BI and running updates on my OS but nothing is working.

6 REPLIES 6
st_1
Regular Visitor

Hi 

Ubable open powebi bi desktop getting error below, kindly help on this issue to sort out

A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running

st_1_0-1620981878471.png

zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @fchen83,

Could you provide details:

1. Version of your OS (system, 32/64 bit)
  2. Screenshot of the error.
  3. Text description of this error (expand it if it is hidden).
  4. Do you receive this error when starting PBI Desktop from scratch or you are opening existing .pbix file?

1. Version of your OS (system, 32/64 bit) : 64 Bit Windows 10
  2. Screenshot of the error. Power BI Error.PNG
  3. Text description of this error (expand it if it is hidden) : N/A
  4. Do you receive this error when starting PBI Desktop from scratch or you are opening existing .pbix file? I receive this error when I start PBI Desktop from scratch.

@fchen83,

There is SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) instance behind each PBI file (new or existing one). Your error is 99% related to this SSAS engine. 

One of cases can be that your firewall, brandmauer or anti-virus is blocking it. Refer to these links:

1.  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174937(v=sql.110).aspx 
  2.  https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/e3a5f79d-8c7d-40e1-b726-b7bf0dd828d3/a-conn...

@fchen83,

There is also an option to Send a frown. This button appears in most of cases near to error message. I don't see it in your case. I've sent it sometimes before and I have an e-mail address and some recommendation for you.

Prepare  and send an e-mail:

• To: pbidesfb@microsoft.com
  • Topic: Send a Frown (Error) - 2/28/2018 10:22:37 PM  //paste your date and time of error here
  • Body: You explanation of situation, version of PBI Desktop (32/64 bit)
  • Attachments: screenshots step by step how you receive an issue

pbiozkan
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

Have you tried this one?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.