Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NewB2PowerBI
Frequent Visitor

Unable to sort the Date Column in Descending order like I can in an Excel Pivot

Hello,

User/company preference is to have the Date field in the column and have it sorted in Descending order.

I am able to do this in an Excel Pivot and Google Docs Pivot, but I can't figure our how to do it in Power BI.

Screen shot below is how it appears in an Excel Pivot Asscending, preferred Descending and the default Power BI in Ascending order. The Question is, how can I change Power BI to Descending order.

Power BI default Ascending order that I want changed to Descending order.Power BI default Ascending order that I want changed to Descending order.Pivot Default Ascending order that I want changed to DescendingPivot Default Ascending order that I want changed to DescendingPivot Date Descending order that I preferPivot Date Descending order that I prefer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

You can sort in Data tab -> Select the column -> Right click on the column header -> Select descending/ asending sorting as you need. We can do the same in Query Editor too.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Thanks
Raj

I have a two-column sort issue.  I have a date-time column, and a "Ticket Number" column.  I want to group all the ticket numbers together, but have them in date-time order, so I know the order of functions applied to each ticket.

I can sort by Date, and all the dates are in order, then I try to sort by Ticket number, and the ticket numbers are in order -- but the date/time order is mixed up.  In Excel, if I do this the date order remains sorted within each ticket number.  I can do sorts on multiple columns and the old sorts remain for each new grouping.  I can't get this to happen in Power Pivot (Excel 16)

5/19/2019 12:46:00 PMINC000007156403
5/22/2019 7:25:00 AMINC000007156403
5/22/2019 7:27:00 AMINC000007156403
5/19/2019 12:56:00 PMINC000007156403
5/22/2019 3:15:00 PMINC000007156403

Can you help? 

THank you for the reply. I tried the following, but it still doesn't work.

"You can sort in Data tab -> Select the column -> Right click on the column header -> Select descending/ asending sorting as you need. We can do the same in Query Editor too."

Anonymous
Not applicable

This doesn't work.  I can sort every column in my date table ... Date, YYYY-MM, MonthOfyear ... whatever ... any one of them in descending order, yet my columns in my matrix table remain in ascending order, e.g. 2021-04, 2021-05, 2021-06.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right click on the right top of the visualson the eclipse (...) symbol and do the sorting as needed from the options.

Thanks

Raj

Can you send a screen shot, I dont know what you're referring to.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorting.PNG

Yes, what I meant was that I did this and it didn't work. My date column still only sorts ascending.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.