Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

octoni
Frequent Visitor

Unable to sort data by daily period in Chart Visual mode where source from SSAS Tabular

Hi,

Does anyone know how to sort data in Chart visual mode where the data source feed from SSAS Tabular ? 

So there is a dimension period in SSAS where the day column is already sorted via SSAS Modeling. 

When I display the data in Power BI Desktop of regular table layout, the sorting is working, but when I try to change in Chart visual mode, it's not.

Really appreciate for any thought. Thanks

Cheers,

Octoni

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@octoni,

I am using the same version of Power BI Desktop as yours.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@octoni,

How do you connect to SSAS tabular , using import or connect live mode? Could you please post a screenshot of your chart and table visuals?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I use live mode. 

Here is the screen shot of basic table layout where the period sequence is automatically with correct order

Capture1.PNG

and here is the screen capture of chart layout, where the daily period sequence order is not correct.

Capture2.PNG

@octoni

What is the data type of the Day field, Text or Date?

Regards,
Lydia

The data type of Day field is Text, because we need to maintain the standard format. But in SSAS tabular model, the columns is already sorted by another column, called Date_Key whic is number data type.

Regards,  Octoni

@octoni,

Do you use December update of Power BI Desktop and could you please make sure that the column is sorted correctly in SSAS data model? 

I test the scenario as yours, sorting works well in my environment, please review my screenshot.
1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia

I've tried to upgrade the Power BI Desktop to the version fo Decembe-2017. Yet it still didn't order the row data automatically by date key in Chart View. 

Capture_Power_BI_Dec_2017~.PNGCapture_Power_BI_Dec_2017.PNGCapture_Power_BI_Dec_2017~2.png

@octoni,

I would recommend you open a support ticket on the support.powerbi.com site.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

What version of Power BI Desktop you are using ?

regards, OCtoni

@octoni,

I am using the same version of Power BI Desktop as yours.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.