Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pajekmichal

Unable to sign in to Power BI Desktop

Hi,

Until recently I was able to sign in using Power BI Desktop with no problems. But now I get the message that my e - mail address or password is not recognized (which is not true, cause I'm still able to log in to Power BI Service) (sorry for the screenshot in polish):Screen Shot 02-27-17 at 10.34 PM.PNG

Anyway - when I try recovering the password or resetting the account I'm being asked about my account name & see the Captcha password. When I enter both nothing happens, I only see the standby wheel going round:

Screen Shot 02-27-17 at 10.38 PM.PNG

Anybody got the same problem & has a solution?

Thanks,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

I've done all that before. What helped me was logging in Power BI Service, changing the password, signing out & then signing in again to both service and desktop.

Thanks,

Michal

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The solution for me turned out that I had to use the workemail + .onmicrosoft.com id  (bubba@domain.onmicrosoft.com) and the admin of Office365 had to reset my password.

Hi guys,

The solution worked for me - and some other people. This is why it's marked 'solved'. But today, after all the upgrades, it may not be solution anymore. I recommend creating a new thread or contacting Microsoft support.

Cheers,

Michal

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is marked solved yet I do not see any solution.  I am having the exact same issue.  I cannot login to Power BI from the Power BI Desktop app.  I get stuck in a loop that either says Microsoft knows me (because I do have an TFS account using the same email address) or that Microsoft does not recognize the id.

Please help.  Thank you

I resolved this question using username@domain.onmicrosoft.com, i was redirect to password page and there i changed my username to original username@domain.com and i didn't need insert my password and login was sucessfull.

sparkez

Hi 

I have been having trouble signing in to the desktop as well. I've had no previous issues. Have recently downloaded the latest version of power bi. 

unable to sign in.PNG

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @pajekmichal,

According to your description, you were unable to sign in to Power BI Desktop while you were able to log in to Power BI Service, right? What error message (please translate it to English) did it prompt when you failed to sign in? 

I would recommend you go to File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Diagnostics of Power BI desktop and click "enable tracing", and check the detailed logs in the traces folder.

Also please disable antivirus software and firewall on your machine to see whether issue persists. And check if any proxy settings prevent you from signing in.

If you still encounter this issue after trying above advice, please uninstall your current desktop and reinstall the latest version for a test.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I've done all that before. What helped me was logging in Power BI Service, changing the password, signing out & then signing in again to both service and desktop.

Thanks,

Michal

Anonymous
Not applicable

This does not help.  I am trying to signin into Power BI from the Desktop app, but I get the message that MS already knows me (I have TFS account using the same email) when I click the sign in button on that page, it takes me to a page to enter my email and password.  After entering both, I get an error stating that id does not exist.  If I try to change my password, it just sits at that page forever with spinning dots but nothing else happens.  I would love to demo this wonderfull tool to my organization however without being able to publish anything since i cannot log in... it is a non-starter.

Hi, Anyone could solve this issue ?

I had no problem at all to sign in my account  until 2 days ago......

I try to signin into Power BI from the Desktop app in another computer

(https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/landing/signin/)

I enter my email and password BUT I get an error stating that either the user or password is incorrect.  

I try to change my password but it says my ID does not exist

It doesn´t make sense because I am already logged in in my computer and cell phone with that ID.

Thanks !!

I am currently facing the same isse, Did you resolve this yet? Please help

It was an issue with the browser. Once we made internet explorer the defualt browser and reset the settings for internet explorer it started working again. We use chrome so it took awhile to figure out. Hope this helps you.

Hi Jbud, I am currently facing same issue. Did you resolve this yet? Pease help

Hi jbud, Did you resolve this issue? I am currently facing same issue. I googled and saw your thread. Just hoping that you have any solution. please help

Anonymous
Not applicable

See my prior posts in this thread.  It was an issue with my work 365 account being locked out for some reason.  My admin had to unlock my account and reset my password before I could log back in.

Hi,

I'm having difficulties signing into my Power BI account.

When I fill in my credentials, I get the message: We don't recognize this user ID or password
Be sure to type the password for your work or school account.

When I try to reset my password, I get the message: The user ID you entered does not exist. Please check that you have typed your user ID correctly.

When I try to make a new account I receive the message: We know you! You’re using daniel.marquina@dbschenker.com with another Microsoft service already. To finish signing up for Microsoft Power BI, sign in with your existing password.

However I am able to log into the https://community.powerbi.com (handle/nickname: ZC1982).

I have tried turning my ani-virus software and proxie settings off - no joy.

Can someone please guide me into the right direction.

Many thanks in advanvce.

Since Internet Explorer is no longer supported I found that I could not log into Power BI Desktop. I changed my default browser to Google Chrome and then changed the settings in Power BI to use my default browser to authenticate.

Go to File -> Options and Settings -> Security and tick the Use my default browser to authenticate box.

Hi, I was getting an error while trying to open my desktop report saying cannnot connect due to authentication fail. But I use my office 365 login. 

I tried your solution. I changed mine from firefox to edge as default browser and changed the security settings as you mentioned above. It worked. Thank you so much!

Kind Regards,

Thilini

That diidn't work for me.  I had been using Chrome, then changed my default browser to Edge.  Still the same exact problem.  This is like trying to jump into a car race, but not being able to find the keys to the car.  Sooooooooo frustrating!!!!!  I've spent most of the day looking for solutions because the main It technician said, "I don't know what's wrong"  😕

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.