Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ghislain
Advocate I
Advocate I

Unable to see and connect to the folder Catalog in SAP HANA

Hi,

I am unable to find and to connect to a database in the folder Catalog in SAP Hana. I can only access  to content

Please find the attached extarct for more info.

Help me in this regard.

Thanks,

Ghislain

pfe3.png

test.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Ghislain,

I can also only access objects under Content folder of SAP Hana in Power BI Desktop, it seems that Power BI connector for SAP HANA only supports design time objects rather than runtime objects of SAP Hana.

As per this article, the Power BI connector for SAP HANA uses the SAP ODBC driver, and Power BI supports HANA information models ( such as Analytic and Calc views). Based on my research, the information models are defined as design time objects in Content folder.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
psdhillon1
Helper I
Helper I

Hi everyone, 

I am new to powerBI usage with SAP HANA. I see many videos showing well polished tables in sap hana to be consumed by powerBI analytics. I connected sap hana by sap hana connector & could not find any tables, just besides system information. When I connected using ODBC connection, I can see many hundreds of raw sap hana tables for which lot of data discovery needs to be done by understanding tables, table columns etc etc , which may eats up my 1-2 months of time before developing visualisation.

Is anything am I missing in the whole process, as shown in many videos while connecting sap hana with powerbi

Please guide me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is old, but I'm running into this same issue and can't find an answer.  Does anyone out there have a solution?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Ghislain,

I can also only access objects under Content folder of SAP Hana in Power BI Desktop, it seems that Power BI connector for SAP HANA only supports design time objects rather than runtime objects of SAP Hana.

As per this article, the Power BI connector for SAP HANA uses the SAP ODBC driver, and Power BI supports HANA information models ( such as Analytic and Calc views). Based on my research, the information models are defined as design time objects in Content folder.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your answer. I found a solution, I create a query with the information I need and it works.

Could you please share the details to the solution. We are having similar challanges in getting data from Catalog and this would help us immensly.

Could you please share the details to the solution. We are having a similar problem and would like to get the data from Catalog.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.