Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SteveO
Regular Visitor

Unable to see Project Strategic Impact Drivers in Project Online OData Feed

I am using both Power BI Desktop & Power BI Pro to analyse project-related information maintained in Project Online using PWA _api/ProjectData ODATA feed. I am able to view and load PrioritizationDrivers, Prioritizations, PortfolioAnalyses, PortfolioAnalysisProjects, BusinessDrivers, BusinessDriverDepartments and PrioritizationDriverRelations data as well as Projects data.

I would like to analyse the mapping of Projects directly to Business Drivers as captured in the Project Strategic Impact Page but this data is not visible in any tables viewable in the ODATA feed. I feel there is a missing associative data table between BusinessDrivers and Projects.

Can anyone advise how I may be able to access this Project Online data In PowerBI?

13 REPLIES 13
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SteveO,

In your scenario, when you connect to Project Online via Odata Feed, please try to enter the URL which points to the Project Strategic Impact Page to see if you can get the table. Please take a look at Step 2 in this article: Project Online: connect to data through Power BI Desktop.

Also you can try to use Project Online Content Pack to see if the data is available. See: Project Online content pack for Power BI.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-qiuyu-msft for responding. My initial efforts were to use the available Data Content Pack for Project Online in Power BI but discovered that custom Enterprise Fields were not available to report.

I tried the Project Online PWA Projectdata Odata feed (i.e. ~_api/Projectdata) in PowerBI Desktop as you have suggested. This enables me to see a wide inventory of Project Online data including my custom Enterprise fields as well as much of the Strategic Prioritisation data (as outlined in my original post). However, I am unable to find any dataset that specifically links (rates) Projects in Project Online to the Strategic Drivers - as per the Project Strategic Impact page.

My question is where is this data held in a Project Online OData feed? Is it visible via (a different sharepoint location via OData) other than _api/ProjectData? I do have a lot of this data defined in Project Online but it is not visible in any datasets/queries that I preview.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Any solution to this? I am stucked with the same issue

Hi @Anonymous. There has been no progress that I am aware of wiith this issue. I have also raised it in the Microsoft Community as well as the Microsoft Project User Voice. You can go there and add your vote to it being addressed!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SteveO, thx. My votes are already there:)

However, strange that they dont have opened all of their model, cant be that big deal?

I really need this;) My idea is using a radar graph to visualize in what degree my portfolie projects is strategic related.

The structure of "Project Strategic Impact Drivers" is "Record", not Table.

You can see it when you create new odata connection in preview navigator: in preview table look at "analysis" column

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see that you have a column named Analysis in the PortfolioanalyseProjects table (I am sadly stucked with a norwegian translation of these names, so the name might be more or less incorrect). But this require that someone has performed an anlysis doesn't it? 

Want I want is to be able to retrieve the evaluation of the strategic drivers without reqiuring an analysis has been performed. 

As far as I can see there is a missing relation between the Project and the impact drivers. 

Thank you @Hance

I have searched high and low for anything that remotely looks like what you refer to. I do not see anything in the available OData feed for Project Online related data. Could you please be less cryptic by specifying the actual OData feed specification, and the table / column / record names where the linking of BusinessDriver (table) or, more likely, BusinessDriverDepartments (table) and the Projects (table) data can be found as per my initial post. Possibly, you can provide screen shots to help narrow down this.

FYI I would expect that this "intersecting" (many to many) data (table) would include the project's rating against each of the applicable business drivers for the department which the project belongs to.

Thanks

Steve

Hance
Frequent Visitor

sorry for the confusion

in short, there is a workaround:
Exporting the impact of projects on business factors in Excel and loading Excel into Power BI

Could you please provide some more detail for this workaround?

Hance
Frequent Visitor

Exporting the impact of projects on business factors in ExcelExporting the impact of projects on business factors in Excel

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to be able to refresh these strategic drivers directly without needing to have a manual download step. 

Hi @SteveO,

The issue needs to involve someone who is very familiar with Project Online server, so I would suggest you create a support ticket to get dedicated support from Microsoft.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.