Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sapirta
Regular Visitor

Unable to save pbix document

Hi,

I'm trying to save my document on my desktop and get this error:

'c:\Users\...\PCAL.pbix' is not a vaild file path

How can I resolve the problem?

Thanks,

Sapir

23 REPLIES 23
TidyPY
Frequent Visitor

YOU CANNOT UNDO:  MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP THE FILE WITH "SAVE AS" AFTER DOING THIS!

1. Go to "EDIT QUERY";  
  2. Change DATA SOURCE;
  3. Edit or Delete the Source Data Accordingly.   
  4. Do not Remove Query Errors unless necessary.    

TidyPY_0-1672786508411.png

John4Roberta
Helper II
Helper II

Hello backflash

I just attempted your solution and it did not work! (Downloaded from the service and saving file. Reopening, making a change and saving.)

😞

John

backflash
Helper II
Helper II

Hey All,

I had the same problem - very randomly: sametimes I was able to save the documents, on other days I was not able - no matter which folder path I selected to save the file (even local 'MyDocuments' folder did not work then).

However, I have now found out how I can prevent this error from happening. Maybe this works for you too?

When I download a pbix-file from BI Service to edit it in Power BI Desktop, I have two options:

I can either 'open it directly' or can 'save it' instead.

When I open it directly in Power BI, there is a very high chance that then I get the error when trying to save it.

So, I select now always 'save it' --> save the pbix-file to my Downloads-folder and then open it from there with Power BI Desktop. This way, I do no longer get the error when I I try to save my changes I made.

So, even if the 'open it directly' option does save the file in the background (in some temporary folders), it seems to make a difference.

27-12-2021_09-53-35.png

Hope this helps

Danke schön backflash

I will do as you say and see the outcome.

John

John4Roberta
Helper II
Helper II

Also having the same occurrence.

Any solution?

John

BobLloyd

I've had the same problem. For me, I had placed an image behind a visual. When I tried to remove that image, I received an error. I wasn't able to save. I then forced Power BI to close via task manager, opened it again, let autosave prompt me to open, saved under a new name, removed the image (it was still there from the autosave) and saved over. That seems to have worked.

blg
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I have the same problem.

error.PNG

There are no background images in the report.

My version is: 2.38.4491.282 64-bit 

Please help!

Hello @blg,

Save the file with another name, in another location.

Regards, 

Vanilson 

blg
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I 've tried it with several different names and locations, with no luck.

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@sapirta

I have tested it on my local environment, we cannot reproduce this issue.

In your scenario, which version of the Power BI Dekstop do you run? Please update it to the latest one then check if you can save the .PBIX file.

Also please enable tracing on Power BI Desktop: File –> Options –> Diagnostics –> Enable Tracing to check if you can find the detail message. For more information, please refer to this article: Power BI Desktop Trace Logs Analyser.

Please provide us more information about your report, so that we can try to reproduce this issue and make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm able to reproduce the error by adding dax calendar to report - before adding calendar saving .pbix works as expected.

1st attempt to save .pbix:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Login failed for user ''.. The exception was raised by the IDbConnection interface.
A connection could not be made to the data source with the Name of '****'.

2nd attempt:

fail.PNG

PBI version: 2.66.5376.1681 64-bit (February 2019)

Maybe this could be of help (posted this answer on another thread).

For me the error appeared when an image was added to the pbix.

The error appears if the image name contains special characters (in my case Swedish letter ä). When changing the image name to just use English letters then the report saves without problem.

BR

Martin

vani
Helper I
Helper I

Hello @sapirta

I've faced same problem. On my case when i uploaded an image to a line chart ( image below), then i was unable to save the file(same error as you had). I had to close the Power BI file, and open it again and then i was able to save it.

plotarea.png

RonjaSchermer
Frequent Visitor

Hi Sapirta,

could you solve your problem? 
I found out, that I could save any file but the one with the error message... When I tried to recreate the report I again imported one particular Image - unable to save....

I assume that it was related to the Image... Maybe it helps you too.

SamLester
Employee
Employee

Can you try saving it to another folder that is not on your desktop to see if that works? I'm able to save to my desktop just fine.

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

Hey Sam,

I've already tried, and every time get this error...

Regards,

Sapir

It might be a silly question, but can you save any time of other file on your desktop or the other locations you tried to save the .pbix file?

/sdjensen

I can't save now any pbix file on any location.

I was asking if you could save another type of file. Like open a text editor - type a few words and then save the file... can you do that?

/sdjensen

לכידה.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.