Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kieran
Advocate II
Advocate II

Unable to run Rest API call within Power BI.

Overview

I am unable to run a Rest API call within Power BI. However I can run the same Rest API call within an internet browser successfully.

Detail

Internet Browser Rest API call works fine

1) Signed into application myapplication.com via Microsoft Authentication using myName@mycompany.com.

2) Entered the following into my browser ... myapplication.com/api/<my Rest API> call.

3) The expected Rest API response was then received within my browser.

The same Rest API call does not work within Power BI

1) Launched Power BI.

2) Signed into Power BI via Microsoft Authentication using myName@mycompany.com

3) Selected New data source of type "Web"

4) Pasted the Rest API call into the URL column.

5) Chose 'Organizational account' as the Access Web Content method.

6) For the column "Select which level to apply these settings to" I entered "https://myapplication.com"

7) I clicked the "Sign in" button and I received the following error message ... "The WWW-Authenticate header doesn't contain a valid authorization URL Header value: 'BASIC realm="myapplication.com".

N.B. It is not an option for me to change the Rest API service in the application. I am confused as to why the Rest API call works within the internet browser but not within Power BI.
There is no proxy set within the internet browser I have used in this scenario.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Solution found.

I had an excellent steer from jude_moore. The solution for my scenario was to use Basic Authentication as follows ...

Login.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Kieran,

Haven't you tried to pass "header" parameter using advanced web connector settings?

Please take a look at the links below. They ould be a bit outdated but really helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBKm3xlgCGA 

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2014/03/26/working-with-web-services-in-power-query/

Thanks Dmitrii,
I have studied the links.
However I havn't got the information to insert in the header.
Also again the Rest API call worked fine within the internet browser. Why won't the same Rest API call work within Power BI Desktop?

Solution found.

I had an excellent steer from jude_moore. The solution for my scenario was to use Basic Authentication as follows ...

Login.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.