Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to run Power BI Desktop

Hello everyone,

I used to run and work Power BI Desktop on my machine at home with no trouble at all through my organization. Since I am not working any more for this company, I am trying to run the free version of PBI to continue learning and practicing, but I tried to open the app and a box pops up with the error below.

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Stack Trace:
System.IO.IOException
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.SetValue(String name, Object value, RegistryValueKind valueKind)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.LocalTelemetryStorage.SetKeyBoolValue(RegistryKey rootKey, String keyPath, String keyValueName, Boolean value)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.LocalTelemetryStorage.SetTelemetryEnabled(Nullable`1 sqmEnabled)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Diagnostics.Telemetry.TracingTelemetryStorage.SetTelemetryEnabled(Nullable`1 sqmEnabled)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Diagnostics.Telemetry.TelemetryManager.set_TelemetryEnabled(Boolean value)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Telemetry.PowerBITelemetryManager.TrySetUpTelemetry(PowerBIApplicationTracingHost tracingHost, IEventAggregationService eventAggregationService, IPowerBISettings powerBISettings, IAuthenticationManager authenticationManager, ICloudConfigurationManager cloudManager, ISystemEnvironment systemEnvironment, Exception& telemetryInitializationException)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.97.861.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.Mashup.Document.dll","Component":"Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.LocalTelemetryStorage","Error":"System.IO.IOException","MethodDef":"SetKeyBoolValue","ErrorOffset":"27"}

PowerBIUserFeedbackServices_IsReported:
True

I tried to uninstall the program, but it does not appear as installed on my machine any more although the icon appears yet on my computer tray.

Any help is immensely appreciated!

Thank you,

Daniel

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Please check if your computer meets the minimum requirements of installing Power BI Desktop. If it meets the requirements, try installing the latest version manually from Download Center rather than through Microsoft Store. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous 

Try to uninstall manually once, see this link -- https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/I-can-t-update-power-bi-desktop/td-p/91740

Then install powerbi desktop. See if it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.