Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to open the document issue

Hi All,

It is strange that i'm getting the below error from past week - "Unable to open the document" (please see the snapshot for reference, i have masked the file path n report name).

Unable to open the document.png

The IT team had done the uninstall and did a fresh install of PBD downloaded from the Microsoft PBD portal (version Sep 2019).

It was working fine for one day and from the other day started facing the same issue again. It's working fine for all other team members, we all are using the same version, we all have the similar access to the reports. Data source is excel and none of them are having this issue.

It would be great if some one can help me in resolving this.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All,

We found the issue.

The default number format was the cause for the inability to open any .pbix file – I did not realise that was the reason.  Ideally it shouldn't effect as im changing the default number format in my laptop preferances not in the Power BI Desktop. 

Unfortunately I was required to make various number formats for our European system such as list separator but must have changed the negative number symbol on reversal not realising the impact as Excel was fine.  When the negative number symbol is amended access is denied. Attached the snapshot for referance. 

We have informed the Microsoft BI team to communicate this to the Power BI Product team so that it can be fixed before future releases. 

Thank you for your support.

default nubmer format.png

You can try changing the settings in your machine (laptop/desktop), got to Control Panel >> Change Date, Time and Number Formats >> Formats Tab - Advanced Settings >> Numbers Tab. 

If you are getting the same error then definetly this could be a bug. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All,

We found the issue.

The default number format was the cause for the inability to open any .pbix file – I did not realise that was the reason.  Ideally it shouldn't effect as im changing the default number format in my laptop preferances not in the Power BI Desktop. 

Unfortunately I was required to make various number formats for our European system such as list separator but must have changed the negative number symbol on reversal not realising the impact as Excel was fine.  When the negative number symbol is amended access is denied. Attached the snapshot for referance. 

We have informed the Microsoft BI team to communicate this to the Power BI Product team so that it can be fixed before future releases. 

Thank you for your support.

default nubmer format.png

You can try changing the settings in your machine (laptop/desktop), got to Control Panel >> Change Date, Time and Number Formats >> Formats Tab - Advanced Settings >> Numbers Tab. 

If you are getting the same error then definetly this could be a bug. 

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Are you able to open the blank report? How about using the Version October 2019?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dong Li,

Yes i'm able to open a blank report, issue is with the existing reports. Which ever the report i try to open i'm getting the above error. More over all the reports which are published to workspace are accessible. Issue is with the Power BI Desktop. 

I haven't tried the Oct'19 version, since it's not officially announced in our organisation. we are creating a support ticket for this. Will keep updated. 

Thanks you so much.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amit,

We have tried all those options and looks like this is something new, appreciate your effort in trying to help me resolving this issue.  We are creating a Support Ticket and will keep updated on this. Thanks again. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.