Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anee123
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to open the already existing and working pbix file getting Mdx script error

Hi,

Till yesterday, the pbix file was working fine and we did not do any changes to break it, but from today, we are not able to open the pbix file in power bi desktop file, howeever same file when uploaded in power bi service using upload file option, its opening in power bi service!!

this is the below error we are getting:

Something went wrong

Failed to save modifications to the server.Error returned:'MdxScript(Model)(109,26)
An argument of function'DATE'has the wrong data type or the result is too large or too small.
The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.'.

This looks like a datatype issue in the model, but we are not able to open the file in desktop to rectify it. Or is the datatype messed up in the datasource end, please suggest.

5 REPLIES 5
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @anee123 ,

Please create support ticket .

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

anee123
Helper I
Helper I

I tried that already 🙂 no luck..same issue I am getting. Is this something to do with the Power BI version or the datatype issue at the source end???

Hi @anee123 ,

To me it looks like a data-type issue as the error clearly says that.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Even i suspect that, how do i debug and fix the issue when I am not able to open the pbix in the first place. Should I go to the source database and check if any changes happened there? is there any other way to debug this issue. Is there a way I can go the exact datatype and fix the issue, the error just says datatype issue.

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @anee123 ,

As you mentioned, you are able to publish the file in Power BI Service, try downloading the pbix file from Power BI Service after publishing it. Then try opening it and modifying your data type.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.