Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Darin

Unable to open document

I built a Power BI report using the March 2018 version. I had this file on a share and someone opened it and edited in the May 2019 version, I am not sure why they had this version as it is not compatible with the Power BI Server we run.

Now when I try an open it with the March 2018 version which is need to be able to publish to our Power BI Server I get the following error:

c:\<file>.pbix is incompatible with your current version of Microsoft Power BI desktop. Please install the latest version and try opening the document again.

Is there any way to open this with the March 2018 version, really hoping I do not have to rebuild this.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

If the updated version of the report has not been published you can try downloading the .pbix from the report server.  Not sure if this is an option for on-prem, in the service it is here:

downloadpbix.jpg

You could also have the user with the newer version undo their changes and see if that works.

This is only stored in a local share so downloading it is not an option.

We did try and undo the change which we just adding an additional line to a cluster bar and line chart, but that did not help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.