Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Torbenan
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to open document

No matter what PBIX file, I try to open, I get the error. I even get it in a newly created file, whit only a dummy table.

I've seen the error after I installed MS Office. Have tried to reinstall Power Bi Desktop. What else can I do?

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

here we go:

December 2019 Version Download 

The previous version helped me to avoid this tricky problem. 🙂

Was struggling 2 hours yesterday solving this. 

KR

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
PaulZoeschg

Hi,

I also get an error message with "Unable to open document". I tried to open data from Data Hub in PowerBI Desktop and this message was the result ... 

PaulZoeschg_0-1664536348040.png

kiran9020
Frequent Visitor

Use the previous version with which you developed the those reports 

if it is resolved, please accept the solution 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

here we go:

December 2019 Version Download 

The previous version helped me to avoid this tricky problem. 🙂

Was struggling 2 hours yesterday solving this. 

KR

Thanks fixed the problem. I hope Microsoft will fix the problem in the February/March Releasen

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi ,

The version has only been updated in the past few days  and it may not be stable.

If the new version can't work normally, it is recommended to roll back to the December version .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Thanks. Can you give some advice on how to perform a roll back. It seems only the latest version is available for download? And how is automatic installation of new releases disabled?

danextian
Super User
Super User

I encountered this before from a sample pbix I downloaded from the internet. I copied the file to a location with a shorter path (My Documents) then reopened it. The trick worked.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Torbenan 

Always good to make sure you are on the latest verison of Desktop.  Have you tried installing the Feb 2020 release?

Kind regards, SDuffy

I'm running Version: 2.78.5740.721 64-bit (February 2020)

On my PC I have two user accounts.

User 1 is an Office 365 account, which I use to login to Windows (not azure ad joined) and login to Power Bi.

User 2 is a live account, which used to login to Windows. I use the same account as user 1 to login to Power Bi.

It's only user 1 which isn't able to open Power Bi files. user 2 is working.

I have a similar problem after reinstalling the latest Feb version PowerBI Desktop 
It is impossible to open a any single file Power BI (they work fine on another PC)
Reports created in the new version are saved, but also do not reopen...

Screenshot_10.png

What could be the problem?

Maybe it have something to do with settings in windows.

Windows - auto update)
While it was available to install new versions BI Desktop from the my account (before Oct 2019) - there were no problems...
The problem appeared after the first installation of the version through MS Store (Feb 2020)
What can be changed in Windows?

Rolled back to release Power BI Desktop (Dec 2019) - all my files pbix. open up normally!
Something is wrong in the latest version?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.