Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rjg2g11
Advocate I
Advocate I

Unable to open document; we weren't able to restore saved database to the model

Hello, 

I have just installed the Feb 2018 update for Power Bi and i am no longer able to open any .pbix files. I recieve the message; 

Unable to open document; we weren't able to restore saved database to the model

I have followed some previous blogs of uninstalling/reinstalling, and the error still remains. Can anyone help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Indeed Version 2.55.5010.581 (2/7/2018) seems to have fixed this Smiley Happy

@AlexGorevThanks!

Issue has been marked as solved here

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/We-weren-t-able-to-restore-the-saved-database-model/td-p/341...

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am currently expierencing this same issue.

I have tried:

• Uninstalling and installing PowerBI
  • I do not have any '&' in the name of my file or in my saved folder
  • I do not have any files in my auto recovery folder
gerhar
Regular Visitor

I still have the issue with version 2.55.5010.641 32-bit (February 2018). Any idea how to get past this as i have not been able to do anything in PBI since i updated.....

I have also removed older versions and tried 32 & 64 bit versions...same outcome....

Also, looks like i can open up one file but not others. That one is linked to SQL, the others have a combination of SQL, Excel, VSTS links.

I tried to create a new file and tested it out by importing data from Excel and another one from a text file and for both i couldn't save the file...got this error...don't know if related...

Stack Trace:
System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.ApplicationException: We weren't able to save database. ---> Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\gerhar\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\TempSaves\test_pbi2c97f7269-8503-49de-b574-405daf7f2be9.pbix' is denied.. An error occurred while writing a compressed file.

JFYI...doing the following (was linked in this thread) allows me to open the file:

As a temp fix you can try disabling the optimized FileSave:

1. Close the PBIDesktop application
2. Control Panel>System>Advanced system settings>Environment Variables
3. User variables... New...
Variable name: PBI_fastLoadSave 
Variable value: false
4. Start PBIDesktop and try to open file

(You'll need to remove the environment variable once you install the update)

varakcheev
Employee
Employee

Download and reinstall PowerBI Desktop - the Feb2018 release was updated last night so it should work now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found that with the April release, that I installed the wrong version. re-installing the correct 64-bit did the trick for me! I'm abale to open the report with no issue!

Fadiel

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Indeed Version 2.55.5010.581 (2/7/2018) seems to have fixed this Smiley Happy

@AlexGorevThanks!

Issue has been marked as solved here

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/We-weren-t-able-to-restore-the-saved-database-model/td-p/341...

Not Fixed, i still have the same issue with February version of Power BI. I have created a big Power BI file, then i filter it only for one Organizational Unit and save it as a small file. Then when i try to open that small Power BI file it shows the error message wit "We weren't able to save ........."

I can not open that file because i'm saving it under another name. So i first save it, and if re opened it still works. As soon as i rename file for just a specific organizational unit it doesn't work anymore and i have that error message

Rainar
Frequent Visitor

Same problem for me. 

Rainar
Frequent Visitor

OK, removing "&" from file name fixed it. 
Good example of learning from experience - my senior colleage said he stopped adding special symbols anywhere in the 90's. 
I guess 2018 is the new 90's. 

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Same issue here! Smiley Sad

BTW - The PBIX File is fine!

Luckily the January Install was still in my Downloads folder - and the file opens fine in the January version.

No special characters in my file name!

Has anyone opened an Issue?

Don't have time for this today... will be using January

EDIT: Some files open fine in February - but of course the one I need today does not! Smiley Sad

@Sean

Yes i opened an issue a couple of hours ago

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Folks please kudo this Issue create by @rjg2g11 so that they can prioritize it

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Unable-to-open-document-we-weren-t-able-to-restore-saved/idi-...

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EDIT: That's why its always a good idea to keep the older Install files!

In the meantime they should make the January version available in addition to the February for those who haven't kept it

And may be in full panic mode because they can't open a file

v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@rjg2g11

Based on my research, it seems like this is a known issue in Feb 2018 update for Power BI. And MS is actively investigating a fix.

But I found out one possibility which can cause the issue. I can repro the issue when I'm opening a pbix file with '&' in its file name. If I remove the '&', the file can be opened successfully. By the way, I'm also using the Feb 2018 update for Power BI.

Thereby, please veify if your pbix file is containg '&' in its file name.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Updating to version 2.55.5010.641 (publised 02/12/18) solved my issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a great spot, this has been bugging the hell out me!

My .pbix files were stored in OneDrive in a folder with a "&" in the folder name.  When I move the files to a folder without the "&" it seems to work.  Not ideal but at least I can work until the fix is applied.

Thanks,

Martyn

my pbix report was in a folder with an "&" in the folder name.  moved the pbix to another folder without an "&" and i was able to open the report.  thank you.

@v-xjiin-msft @RolandC

Hi both, 

I have tried changing the file location for one of the reports and it has worked, as it doesnt have a '&' in the file name. This is annoying as we have around 40 reports saved in the current location. 

Do we know how long this issue will last for? Is there a forum following the progress?

Thanks,

Rob

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.