Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to open .Xls format by Power BI 2018 September version

Hi,

I was wondering why I can not open PBI files with .Xls format with PBI version 2018 September? and how to address it?

I don't have any issues opening .Xlsx formats though!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I finally did I re-installed the ACCESS engine and it was solved!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Both Access databases and early versions of Excel workbooks (.XLS files of type Excel 2007-2003) use the Access Database Engine.

Or try to upgrade Power BI Desktop to the latest version 2.70.5494.761 .

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xicai  I knew already this as I saw it on the message. What version of the Engine should be installed then to have .xls files opened on pbi

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test using the Excel connector in the latest version 2.70.5494.761 of Power BI Desktop, there is no issue.

2.png3.png

You can try to upgrade the Power BI Desktop. Or you can change the extension of Excel file from .xls to .xlsx but make a backup first of all.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What I finally did I re-installed the ACCESS engine and it was solved!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.