Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Gwendaline_p
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to open PowerBI document

Hi everyone ,

I created a PowerBI document with data from an ODBC source. I saw all data in the document but after save and close the document I can't open the PowerBI document anymore ... (see the error message below)

PowerBI_Unabletoopenadocument.PNG

Translation : "Unable to open the document. We can't restore the database recorderd in the model"

I don't have other saving of this document so it's a bit problematic ....

Did someone know how to open my document please ?

Kind regards,

Gwendaline

4 REPLIES 4
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Gwendaline_p

Make a copy of your .pbx file first. Please update your Power BI Desktop into latest version and try again. 

See a similar thread below:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Unable-To-Open-Document/td-p/10731

If the issue still persists, please create a support ticket.

Regards,

Hi Simon ,

To contact the support, I must have a Microsoft account ?

I don't have one, that's why I use the PowerBI Community.

Kind regards ,

Gwendaline

Hi everyone ,

I don't have any issue with the connexion to my data source. I changed my SQL request to add a limit.

Before : select * from table where month like "201611";

Now : select * from table where month like "201611" limit 1000;

==> I don't have anymore the issue when I used limitations.

Can it be linked to the size of my data table ? (for information my data table is about 10 Go, more than 10 millions lines)

The .pbit doesn't work. I have the same error message when I open it.

The .zip works but as you said I don't have my source information so no more data, I have to refresh again and I have a lot of data (1hour of importation). I don't have the time to download all the data each time that I open the dashboard ... And I lose all the connections between variables and graphics.

With the latest version of PowerBI , my ODBC connector doesn't work anymore ...

Kind regards ,

Gwendaline

@Gwendaline_p 

Check to make sure that the issue isn't with the data source first. If it is not, you can try the following things.

First, save a copy that you will completely mess around with. Worst case, you have this original file to send to someone if need be.

Change the extension to a ".pbit", this may work in that this will open as a Power BI Template, and could allow you to alter the settings. ( I don't know for sure).

If that doesn't work, you change the extension of the file name to ".zip", then you have access to the components that make up the PBIX file. It's possible you might be able to strip something out.

For instance, I was able to remove the DataModel file from the .zip / change the file type to .pbix / and open the Power BI Desktop. This left me with my source information, but no model. Depending on what the error is, this could be a way to salvage some of your report.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.