Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NWSkier1981
Employee
Employee

Unable to open PowerBI Desktop- A connection cannot be made

I'm currently having issues while attempting to open up PowerBI Desktop. This is the latest version of PowerBI Desktop for the March 2018 release. 

Repro Steps

1. Have attempted to click on Repair in Control Panel, that doesn't work

2. Have attempted to uninstall / reinstall into a different location, that doesn't work

3. Have attempted to run as administrator, that doesn't work

4. Nothing in Windows firewall is preventing it from opening or the SQL Analysis server. 

I'm running out of ideas and past threads from last year are not much help. 

PowerBIerror.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For the March update, found it's an issue with Windows Defender. They are addressing it. 

For a workaround please see below

We’ve identified the issue – it’s related to a Windows Defender update that shipped recently. While we work to resolve it, the workaround is to add the msmdsrv.exe process to the exclusion list. Instructions on how to do that are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028485/windows-10-add-an-exclusion-to-windows-defender-ant....

Or can also work around this issue by running the following command from an elevated command prompt: "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe –resetplatform"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

personally I never encountered  this problem, but I heard that this sometimes occurs,  ask a coworker for an empty pbix file, without any traces to datasources

File --> Options and Settings --> Datasource settings:

Delete all Permissions from "Global permissions"

If you have no co-worker you can give this pbix file a try.

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Shoot that didn't work. I was able to get into PowerBI Desktop, though I couldn't open up any other file. 

I was able to delete permissions though. Though still if I open up from scratch or open up any other PBIX file I'm getting the same error message. 

Really has become frustrating as I'm stuck as to what else I can do here short of blowing away the computer here. 

Do you have a

Enterprise Gateway installed, if so

• unsinstall the Gateway, reboot
  • unstill PowerBI, reboot
  • reinstall PowerBI

If this doesn't work, I have no further ideas

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Crap no joy 😞 

Hopefully someone else on this forum, from the PowerBI group there at Microsoft can answer this as I'm stuck.

For the March update, found it's an issue with Windows Defender. They are addressing it. 

For a workaround please see below

We’ve identified the issue – it’s related to a Windows Defender update that shipped recently. While we work to resolve it, the workaround is to add the msmdsrv.exe process to the exclusion list. Instructions on how to do that are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028485/windows-10-add-an-exclusion-to-windows-defender-ant....

Or can also work around this issue by running the following command from an elevated command prompt: "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe –resetplatform"

UPDATE, attempting to click on another PBIX file I'm getting this

PowerBIerror2.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.