Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pranjaljain99
Regular Visitor

Unable to load historical data in PowerBi from SQL Server

I am trying to create a PowerBI dashboard (75 columns and about 25 M rows) coming from more than 25 tables in a SQL Server using a view. Once I load that data into a pbix file, I can configure incremental refresh which refreshes it for last 3 months.

The error which I receive at the end of the entire data load which happens in about 30 minutes:

Failed to save modifications to the server.
Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error]
An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Invalid operation. The connection is closed.'

I've also tried to break the view into 3 separate views (each fetching about 9M records) which works fine but now when I try to create a new table and do a union of these 3 datasets, it throws an error

There is not enough memory to complete the operation in PowerBI

Resources: Power Bi Desktop | Azure SQL server serverless Gen5

Does anyone have some workaround for this?

4 REPLIES 4
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @pranjaljain99 ,

1. What version of Power BI Desktop are you using?
  2. Have you tried clearing Power BI cache and then trying?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hi Pragati, Thanks for your response. 

I am using the latest version. No further updates are available. Version: 2.95.804.0 64-bit (July 2021)

Yes, I've cleared the cache and tried it too. 

Hi @pranjaljain99 ,

I see that you have posted on another forum: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68591108/unable-to-load-historical-data-in-powerbi-from-sql-serv... 

Has your problem been solved? If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

Dear Winniz,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I am trying all those steps one by one. No success yet. Will keep you posted once I am done with all of them. Thanks

-Pranjal

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.