Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shilpa123
Frequent Visitor

Unable to load data in power bi with the security given from cube to user

Hi,

Actually we have created security roles in  SSAS cube  initally we are able to see all projects data in cube but when we assign user role security we are able to see only that required project data in cube which was assigned to user but  when we connect to powerbi we are able to see all level of data so how to restrict the users from SSAS Cube to only see the required project data when we assign user role security to them from SSAS Cube.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @shilpa123 ,

According to your description, for this kind of problem, setting rls for as data source to make it effective in powerbi, the key needs to map the username of as data source.
You can map user names for Analysis Services in two different ways:

• Manual user remapping
  • On-premises Active Directory property lookup to remap Azure AD UPNs to Active Directory users (Active Directory lookup mapping)

vhenrykmstf_0-1641178618559.png

For more details, you can read related documnet link and make a test.

Manage your data source - Analysis Services - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Configure Analysis Services tabular model roles | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please point it out and provide related operation screenshoots. Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @shilpa123 ,

According to your description, for this kind of problem, setting rls for as data source to make it effective in powerbi, the key needs to map the username of as data source.
You can map user names for Analysis Services in two different ways:

• Manual user remapping
  • On-premises Active Directory property lookup to remap Azure AD UPNs to Active Directory users (Active Directory lookup mapping)

vhenrykmstf_0-1641178618559.png

For more details, you can read related documnet link and make a test.

Manage your data source - Analysis Services - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Configure Analysis Services tabular model roles | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please point it out and provide related operation screenshoots. Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@shilpa123 check this post and see if it helps SSAS Multidimensional Dynamic Security Row Level -... - Microsoft Power BI Community

I have no setup on my end to test all this. I hope the above post gets you some useful tips to get it going. 

Follow us on LinkedIn

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@shilpa123 just to clarify, they are using power bi desktop and connecting to cube and then reading the data from cube to visualize the data, is this what they are doing?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hi @parry2k 

yes from powerbi desktop will connect to SSAS and load the data and then do Data Visualisation

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@shilpa123 I assume it is SSAS MD? correct?

When you are building the report, you can see everything. Once you publish the report to the service and use who is looking at the report will see their own data. But do check with a test user. I have used SSAD MS a long time ago not worked much lately but I think it should work.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Hi @parry2k 

yes it is SSAS MD but in cube level we have given data restriction to end users but when we connect to SSAS from  powerbi  they should see only that required project instead of all projects according to our requirment 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.