Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pnsskalyan
Regular Visitor

Unable to launch Power BI

Hi, I recently started exploring huge benefits of Power BI and wanted to explore it further and downloaded Power BI desktop. I am unable to launch Power BI desktop. After installing the application from the desktop, I double click on the icon and after few moments, it opens a pane stating "Initializing Model" and states "We are unable to connect to the model" and asks me to click on "Report the issue" button.

I am really excited to explore the tool, but unfortunately my start wasn't good. Could you please help me with getting out of this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pnsskalyan ,

Have your bit-version of power bi desktop match your operating system?(64-bit / 32-bit)

Or you can refer these similar issues that hope to help you:

1. Power BI Desktop will not launch 
  2. Unable to Launch Power BI Desktop 
  3. Error when launching Power BI Desktop 
  4. unable to start power bi desktop  
  5. Power BU Desktop fails to launch in Windows 10 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pnsskalyan ,

Have your bit-version of power bi desktop match your operating system?(64-bit / 32-bit)

Or you can refer these similar issues that hope to help you:

1. Power BI Desktop will not launch 
  2. Unable to Launch Power BI Desktop 
  3. Error when launching Power BI Desktop 
  4. unable to start power bi desktop  
  5. Power BU Desktop fails to launch in Windows 10 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Yingjie Li.

One of those solutions worked. Here is what i did:

1) Uninstalled Power BI that I downloaded from MS website

2) installed MS VC++ 2015 (64) and restarted my computer

3) installed Power BI 64-bit

I will now start exploring the beauty. Thanks once again

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pnsskalyan ,

1. Please check the minimum requirements of installing power bi desktop: Get Power BI Desktop minium requirements.png
  2. Please try to download latest version of power bi desktop May 2020: Microsoft Power BI Desktop 
  3. You can also try to use some previous versions: Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop 
  4. You can refer the following similar issue and microsoft document about launching power bi desktop:

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

@Amit, @ Yingjie

I have installed the application from the Microsoft official website (same as what you suggested). I also checked my desktop to the system requirements of the tool and they are more than the recommended. 

Also, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. But no luck. 

Any further help on this will definitely help me to get on to the tool faster and explore its beauty.

Regards,

Kalyan

Anonymous
Not applicable

same here. still facing the same issue.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@pnsskalyan , Hope you have downloaded from here. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

Check the system requirements. Try Uninstall and reinstall

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried but not working. same issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.