Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PriyankaJhaTheA
Helper II
Helper II

Unable to get distinct row id for the table - DAX

Hello Power BI enthusiasts,

This is the YouTube Tutorial I followed to create a Power App. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dRDKbm-v6Y 

The step where I'm stuck is the Row ID for my multi-category table.

Note: Also why do I have to use this workaround this Data Appended table I'm using is from Excel and write the changes back to excel.

Then I used these 2 tutorials to calculate the row ID:

Index = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('End Market Projections'[Geography]), FILTER('End Market Projections', 'End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node]=EARLIER('End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node]) && 'End Market Projections'[Geography]<=EARLIER('End Market Projections'[Geography])))

Row ID = RANKX(FILTER('End Market Projections', 'End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node] = EARLIER('End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node])), 'End Market Projections'[WRK parent category ])

I faced a few problems:

Problem 1: You can see the problem that the Row ID is not unique for the categories.

I want the expected row numbers to be like just a unique 1-3 digit number.

Screenshot 2022-06-11 144719.png

Problem 2: Also, the most important aspect of this app is to show the 'WRK CAGR Est.' beside the CAGR '21-25. But when I add this to the existing table it replicates the table entries into 2. 

Screenshot 2022-06-11 145706.png

PLEASE TRY TO FIND A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM!!

I'm sharing the .pbix file that has the OG report:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vWWg52y7WC7_CYgkatbj_5eaMx7soLZt/view?usp=sharing 

P.S.: I will be very grateful if you are able to provide some solution/guide to this problem before Monday. I have to show this to my client.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for spending your time creating a solution. But, in this case, this is not useful for me, because there has to be a relationship between table 'wrk cagr' and table 'End Market Projection' for the 'Row ID' fields.

Anyways I was able to find a solution. I'm attaching the .pbix file for anyone who wants to see for themselves.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nRa7FE7uhnyf4zNHMjtj9g6tvhrtd4ti/view?usp=sharing

What did I do to solve this?

Note: For numbers 1 & 2 I followed the tutorials mentioned in my question above.

1. Create Index for the Data: 
    Index = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node]), FILTER('End Market Projections', 'End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node]<=EARLIER('End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node])))
  2. Create Row Number for the subcategories for your Data:
    Row Number = RANKX(FILTER('End Market Projections', 'End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node] = EARLIER('End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node])), 'End Market Projections'[2021])
  3. Concatenate both the Index and Row ID to create a unique row number for each row of your data:
    Row ID = CONCATENATE('End Market Projections'[Row Number], 'End Market Projections'[Index])

In this way I was able to have to be a relationship between table 'wrk cagr' and table 'End Market Projection' for the 'Row ID' fields. 

Final Table Look:

Screenshot 2022-06-16 135604.png

Warm regards, 

Priyanka Jha.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PriyankaJhaTheA ,

Where are you now, and are you still stuck in the above questions? Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

Thank you for spending your time creating a solution. But, in this case, this is not useful for me, because there has to be a relationship between table 'wrk cagr' and table 'End Market Projection' for the 'Row ID' fields.

Anyways I was able to find a solution. I'm attaching the .pbix file for anyone who wants to see for themselves.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nRa7FE7uhnyf4zNHMjtj9g6tvhrtd4ti/view?usp=sharing

What did I do to solve this?

Note: For numbers 1 & 2 I followed the tutorials mentioned in my question above.

1. Create Index for the Data: 
    Index = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node]), FILTER('End Market Projections', 'End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node]<=EARLIER('End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node])))
  2. Create Row Number for the subcategories for your Data:
    Row Number = RANKX(FILTER('End Market Projections', 'End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node] = EARLIER('End Market Projections'[WRK Parent node])), 'End Market Projections'[2021])
  3. Concatenate both the Index and Row ID to create a unique row number for each row of your data:
    Row ID = CONCATENATE('End Market Projections'[Row Number], 'End Market Projections'[Index])

In this way I was able to have to be a relationship between table 'wrk cagr' and table 'End Market Projection' for the 'Row ID' fields. 

Final Table Look:

Screenshot 2022-06-16 135604.png

Warm regards, 

Priyanka Jha.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.