Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sdeoghar
Frequent Visitor

Unable to get data from Sharepoint online List

Hello experts,

I am trying to connect Sharepoint online list to Power BI. But its not connecting.

I am getting the below error

" Unexpected Error " Specified Value has invalid CRLF characters.

Parameter name: Value"

I am not understanding what this error is exactly?

Can anyone help me getting resolved this issue?

Shivjeet Deoghare

10 REPLIES 10
KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @sdeoghar. It looks like it's common enough that other people have run into this, but I don't know what options you have available to you to fix it. This blog mentions one way that worked, but it involves running an update for SP. There's also this community post that has a few ideas, including logging in as an Organizational Account.

From what I can tell, it's not a problem with your data in SharePoint list. Most of the examples I've seen were for SharePoint on-prem. I see you're connecting online. Let us know if nothing above helps.

Hi Grice,

Thanks for your response. I went through your posts, One talks about excel to sharepoint list conection which is not my case. and another post are still in discussion. 

My scenario is somehow I have to connect my sharepoint list directly to Power BI, which I am unable to do and getting the error.

So with that respect, do you have any idea?

I'd still suggest trying them out. The list from Excel is through Power Query, which is Get Data in Power BI. They're not 100% the exact same, but it's pretty close.

The post that didn't have a resolved answer still had a workaround of logging in as an organizational account.

It might not be possible to find someone with the exact same scenario, but you might find several things that are close and have the same solution by typing in the exact error message into Google. Options for Power BI or Power Query will be relevant.

Are you using the SharePoint Online List connector or are you calling the REST API directly for SharePoint?

Also, what list type is it? I've had numerous issues with Tasks lists.

Treb Gatte | Business Solutions MVP | Power BI Recordings | @tgatte | Blog 

Hi,

I have a online sharepoint list which has a specific URL, and with this URL i am trying to make connection (OData connection) to Power BI . But it throwing error.

Shivjeet

Hi @sdeoghar,

Based on my understanding, you are trying to connect to SharePoint online list via OData feed data source type in the Power BI Desktop but get errors, right?

Based on my test, when we connect to SharePoint online list use OData feed, we need to append _vti_bin/listdata.svc at the end of site URL. For example, the URL of the SharePoint online list is this: https://microsoft.sharepoint.com/teams/Qiuyun01/Lists/list01, then we need to specify the OData URL like this:

w1.PNGw2.PNGz3.PNG

In your scenario, please check if the URL is correct. And type the URL without copy and paste. In addition, in Power BI Desktop, there is a OOTB data source type for us to retrieve SharePoint online list, it's SharePoint Online List data source. See:

w4.PNGw5.PNGw6.PNGw7.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you very much for your wonderful reply.

I tried doing as you said and modified my URL with prefic to it as " _vti_bin/listdata.svc" but I am still getting the same error.

I am using sharepoint 2010, so is there anything to do with version.

Also to modify the URL , do we have to anything from backend or just type the original URL with adding "vti_bin/listdata.svc" at the end and hit connect.

Please advise.

Hi @sdeoghar,

As you can see from my original post, the URL of the SharePoint online list is this: https://microsoft.sharepoint.com/teams/Qiuyun01/Lists/list01, site name is Qiuyun01, then I append " _vti_bin/listdata.svc" after site name to compose the OData URL: https://microsoft.sharepoint.com/teams/Qiuyun01/_vti_bin/listdata.svc.

In your scenario, please also append the " _vti_bin/listdata.svc" after site name to see if the issue persists.

Did you try to connect to SharePoint Online list follow the steps in my orignal reply?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I tried doing as you suggested, but I am still unable to cinnect. I get the same error.

Shivjeet

See this article for more information on using REST with SharePoint 2010. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff798339.aspx

Treb Gatte | Business Solutions MVP | Power BI Recordings | @tgatte | Blog 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.