Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wlandry12
Frequent Visitor

Unable to filter a count by a slicer from another table

I may be coming up short on my understanding of data modeling, but I can't seem to figure out why my 'Shops'[Shop] slicer will not filter a card for Count of 'drawings'[DrawingID] based on the Shop selection.

wlandry12_0-1652825995284.png

Is it because the Shop filter stops short at the 'productioncontrolitems' table due to the directions of the relationships?

Is there a measure I could create to establish a filterable relationship between 'Shops'[Shop] and 'drawings'[DrawingID]?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Is it because the Shop filter stops short at the 'productioncontrolitems' table due to the directions of the relationships?

That's exactly right.  "You can't get there from here".

You probably need to rethink the characteristics for your tables. Looks like the Drawings table is more a fact table rather than a dimension.  So the arrow should probably point into the Drawings table, not out of it.

Are you familiar with the concepts of star schema or snowflake schema?

View solution in original post

I'm not very familiar with those schema concepts, but you make a good point about pointing the arrow into the Drawings table. I set the cross filter direction to "Both" between that table and the productioncontrolitems table and was able to get the Shop slicer to filter the Drawing Count card. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That's exactly right.  "You can't get there from here".

You probably need to rethink the characteristics for your tables. Looks like the Drawings table is more a fact table rather than a dimension.  So the arrow should probably point into the Drawings table, not out of it.

Are you familiar with the concepts of star schema or snowflake schema?

I'm not very familiar with those schema concepts, but you make a good point about pointing the arrow into the Drawings table. I set the cross filter direction to "Both" between that table and the productioncontrolitems table and was able to get the Shop slicer to filter the Drawing Count card. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.