Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to cross-filter table

Hi Community Champs,

I am attaching the file (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cYACKgoQDBE1WNV0UWeGHBm4zeavywvV/view?usp=sharing)- if somebody can show how the request below needs to be accomplished- it would be great.

The ask is to be able to filter the table in green based on the group selected in red.

Currently, it gets filtered only if I drill down DaysAwayGroup & select an employee ID but not based on sub-totals for each group. For eg: If I select 180+ category- it should just show me records for those 3 employees IDs alone- but it doesn't

Gguliani_0-1623855180614.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
daxer-almighty
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous 

Yes, this problem is not for the faint of heart 🙂 I've solved it but don't have time right now or even willingness to discuss the solution. If you have questions about it, please post it here and I'll reply later. The model into which I transformed yours is not totally perfect only because I didn't know all the meanings of the fields, so there might be dimensions that don't have all the relevant attributes or have attributes that should belong to other dimensions. In general, fact tables' fields should not be exposed in the UI, they should always be hidden. I could have achieved this by moving some fields (especially the dates) into the Flight Attributes dimension or by creating suitable measures (since you're not likely to slice the data by the start and end dates, anyway). I leave this all to you. The initial model you had was bad for many more reasons that I would like to talk about. Please always stick to the star schema if you don't want to have problems you'll be scratching your head about for days or weeks.

And here's the solution.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I'd like to suggest you add a measure filter to your table to filter records based on the selected range and current measure values.

Applying a measure filter in Power BI - SQLBI

For the selection text value, you may need to use text functions to extract the start and end value based on the delimiter.

Text functions (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Docs
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
daxer-almighty
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous 

Yes, this problem is not for the faint of heart 🙂 I've solved it but don't have time right now or even willingness to discuss the solution. If you have questions about it, please post it here and I'll reply later. The model into which I transformed yours is not totally perfect only because I didn't know all the meanings of the fields, so there might be dimensions that don't have all the relevant attributes or have attributes that should belong to other dimensions. In general, fact tables' fields should not be exposed in the UI, they should always be hidden. I could have achieved this by moving some fields (especially the dates) into the Flight Attributes dimension or by creating suitable measures (since you're not likely to slice the data by the start and end dates, anyway). I leave this all to you. The initial model you had was bad for many more reasons that I would like to talk about. Please always stick to the star schema if you don't want to have problems you'll be scratching your head about for days or weeks.

And here's the solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.