Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kiranmayiyl
Regular Visitor

Unable to create multiple relations between tables

I am using power BI for my dashboards.

I have two tables (meta data tables, say A and B) which will be joined with all the other tables.

The join works for the first two data tables and from then on I am able to either join with A or B.

When I try to create relation, it gives me error as attached.

I can create the same relation in a new Power BI file and even in the same file if I delete all the existing relations.

Is there a way I can fix this?

PBI Error.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Basically what this is saying, I believe, is that you are creating your relationships in such a way that you are creating multiple query paths between tables such that the data model is not certain how one table relates to another table (which path it should follow). You can generally get around this by editing the cross-filter direction to be "Single" versus "Both". I'd have to see a picture of your table relationships and the proposed relationship you are trying to create to know for sure.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Basically what this is saying, I believe, is that you are creating your relationships in such a way that you are creating multiple query paths between tables such that the data model is not certain how one table relates to another table (which path it should follow). You can generally get around this by editing the cross-filter direction to be "Single" versus "Both". I'd have to see a picture of your table relationships and the proposed relationship you are trying to create to know for sure.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks. Changing cross-filter direction to Single worked.  However, I had to do it for all the relations in my Power BI.

I was earlier trying to create somehting similar to this

select *
from AppV_PublishPackageContainer A
Left outer join AppvErrors B on A.AppVError = B.AppVError
Left outer join AppV_PackageIdVersionIdPackageName C on A.PackageVersion = C.PackageVersion

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.