Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to create measures despite being live connected with Analysis Services

Hi there,

As of recently, I am unable to create a new measure in Power BI Desktop, despite being live connected with Analysis Services/Power BI dataset. I have never had an issue with this before. I can still access my previously created measures in my saved report, and when I click on them I can see the DAX expressions, edit them and use them in my report. However, I cannot create a new measure. The function is greyed.

Anyone has any idea why this is?

Thank you in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I can't reproduce your issue. It works well on my Power BI Desktop - version: 2.91.701.0 64-bit (March 2021).

1. Have you cahnged any setting?

2. What's your Desktop version?

3. Can earlier version work?

4. Does every report connected to AS or PBI Dataset have this issue?

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Icey,

Thank you for your answer.

1. I have not changed any settings in Power BI desktop.

2.  2.91.884.0 64-bit (March 2021)

3. We tried downgrading, did not work either. However, some colleagues who still have earlier versions where the march update has not yet kicked in are still able to create new report level measure.

4. Yes. 

Best regards,
Isabella

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , does it happen after the March 2021 update. Check the Desktop version File -> About.

If so check if there any know issue - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

March 2021, release noted - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-march-2021-feature-summary/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amit,
Thank you for your reply and help. I believe the issues started after the March update yes. Thank you, although I could not find any issues that I was able to relate to my issue.

Best,

Isabella

Hi Amit and IsabellaBj,
We are having the same issue in our organisation. We can see the measures created in previous version of power bi desktop but cannot create new ones. The few members who have updated have had their ability to create new dashbaords completely removed.

We are connected to an Analysis Services Cube connected to a Dataset which has always allowed us to create measures.

We are holding back updates for now for the users who haven't updated but worried about the impact this will have on our BI capability.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.