Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jorris

Unable to consistantly publish dataset to custom workspace using Powerbi Pro Trial

Hi, I am having issues with publishing a dataset from power bi desktop using a Power BI Pro Trial account.

The issue is similar to this one: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Publish-dashboard-to-Workspace-using-Power-BI-Pro-Trial/m-p...

Note: publishing to the default 'My Workspace' works fine, all the time.

At first I created a new workspace an tried to publish to it, receiving the error: Only users with Power BI Pro licenses can publish to this workspace. I followed the steps in the solution from the linked issue above, to no avail.

As a test, I created some more worspaces, because mine had dashes in it and a long name. I created TEST2 and another, same issues.

Then, I did some signing out, rebooting, etc, to the point where I was able to publish to one of the newly created workspaces, but just the one time. After trying to publish to that same workspace again, I noticed the dataset was detected because it asked me:

You already have a dataset named ....., etc, do you want to replace ...? So power bi can query the workspace.

But after confirming the replace, I once again get the error that I need a power bi pro license.

So I am stuck. I would upgrade from Trial to non-Trial, but I am not convinced that is going to work.

One thing I am noticing about the error is that is comes really quickly, as if power bi does not even try to connect to the service, but maybe that's just me looking for causes that aren't there. I am not behind a proxy or blocking firewall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Jorris

Had a Teams meeting with tech support.

Uninstalled the MS Store App version of Power BI 

Installed the Desktop version downloaded from microsoft website.

The desktop version seems to have more 'bugfixes' than the store version.

Issue seems to have gone away, at least, during the test publishes we did in the teams meeting, the issue only occured 1 time, but then after signing out and back in to power bi desktop, all publishes were successfull.

Not sure about the underlying tech issues with the App store version, but the matter is closed for now.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Jorris it should work as expected even if you have a trial pro license, I do this all the time. I believe you need to open a support ticket and get help, very hard to say what is going on there.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks, but I only use tech support as a last resort, should be able to figure this out with some good old gray mass effort.

I think I am on to something though.

When I started using power bi, I already had Office 365, so I went to the admin portal and activated my Power BI (Free) license.

However, the Free does not allow me to publish, so I activated the Pro Trial.

Now, I am not sure how the Pro Trial is connected to my O365 tenant, it seems like it is only connected to my personal O365 login.

Here is the funny part, I have deactived the Power BI Free license in the portal and tried to log back into app.powerbi.com

At this point, the website does not seems to recognize my Power BI Pro Trial, als it is telling me my account is connected to an organisation and I need to complete the signup process by logging in using the organisation account.

But.... then that process re-activates my Power BI Free license, which is probably causing all the publishing problems.

I can see the Free license being activated again in the O365 portal. 

So during all this, the Pro Trial is not honored, and somehow I think both are active now, Pro Trial and Free license on the same account.

The reason it does sometimes work to publish could be due to a bug in power bi desktop, checking claims and giving the error if the first claim is detects is the power bi free license type claim (if there is such a claim, but it's all oauth2 these days, so I am betting there is a claim)

As a test, I activated my msdn benefit and created a power bi pro account that way (valid for 1 year, no cost) and with that account I can publish properly, even share reports to my O365 tenant user.

So, to sum up, I think the problem lies with having the Power BI Free license active in the O365 tenant admin portal and having the Power BI Pro Trial connected to my personal O365 account and not connected inside the O365 tenant.

Hardly a solution, but I guess I could just build and share reports with the msdn account and then use them as the O365 account.

Until the Pro Trial expires, then it will probably be time to go full pro from the O365 tenant 🙂

Should anyone have any other ideas about the issue, I am all ears.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.