cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dramus Established Member
Established Member

Unable to connect using Oracle database even after ODAC install.

I have 64bit December 2017 Desktop Installed.

I have 64bit Oracle 12.1.0.2 runtime client installed (and can use SQLPLUS to connect to the database from the command prompt).

I have installed ODAC121024Xcopy_x64 into my oracle runtime client.

But I'm still getting "DataSource.Error: The provider being used is deprecated: 'System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.'. Please visit https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=272376 to install the official provider."

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Established Member

Re: Unable to connect using Oracle database even after ODAC install.

Alrighty...Finally got it to work.

Installed 64bit runtime client 12.2. Then installed ODAC122010_x64. INTO THE SAME ORACLE HOME

By default ODAC tries to install itself into a new Oracle Home. Which doesn't work.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Established Member

Alrighty...Finally got it to work.

Installed 64bit runtime client 12.2. Then installed ODAC122010_x64. INTO THE SAME ORACLE HOME

By default ODAC tries to install itself into a new Oracle Home. Which doesn't work.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

@dramus,

This might be beneficial to other community members, you may help accept the solution above. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
anitaberg Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi! I believe I have the same issue. I installed ODAC and as a result I got a client_2 in addition to client_1 in the C:\app\client\windowsusername\product\12.2.0

Is this what you refer to as oracle home the the ODAC should have installed in client_1 folder. How do I achieve this in the installation? (I guess I have to specify some other than the default path).

I have installed a complete test environment on my virtual PC consisting of oracle database, oracle business intelligence servers. So I probaly have another scenario than end users that do not run the DB server and fusion middelware on the computer.

I have had a lot of problems during installation of these components but have always figures a way around it, so I guess you have found the answer to this final issue of the Power BI / Oracle test envrionment installation.

anitaberg Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the help. I now installed a second time (using VM machine I could revert to before the first installation) then I change the installation path to client_1 instead of client_2. I got past the messages saying I did not have correct ODAC installed.

I also now managed to get it work by having the two clients client_1 and client_2. I then used the downloadable PBI client and isntalled ODAC with the tick for sharing installation on the machine.

hersrud Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

What worked for us here was uninstalling 12.2 and then installing 12.1 .  We grabbed the newest link off the oracle site without thinking about it, but I guess microsoft specifies the version for a reason.  Powerbi doesn't appear to play nicely with 12.2

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Find out what's new in the Power BI Community!

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 317 members 2,925 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: