Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Unable to connect using Oracle database even after ODAC install.

I have 64bit December 2017 Desktop Installed.

I have 64bit Oracle 12.1.0.2 runtime client installed (and can use SQLPLUS to connect to the database from the command prompt).

I have installed ODAC121024Xcopy_x64 into my oracle runtime client.

But I'm still getting "DataSource.Error: The provider being used is deprecated: 'System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.'. Please visit https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=272376 to install the official provider."

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Alrighty...Finally got it to work.

Installed 64bit runtime client 12.2. Then installed ODAC122010_x64. INTO THE SAME ORACLE HOME

By default ODAC tries to install itself into a new Oracle Home. Which doesn't work.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
uwaiz

I had similar issue after migrating on-premise gateway to a new server, I followed below steps.

Installed Oracle Client for Microsoft Tools https://download.oracle.com/otn_software/odac/Oracle-Client-for-Microsoft-Tools.exe  and copied the tnsnames.ora file which solved my issues.

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I have successfully installed ODAC 19.3 and got Power BI Desktop to talk to it. I've posted it as a new topic, so that it's easier to find.

Installing ODAC 19.3 

hersrud
Frequent Visitor

What worked for us here was uninstalling 12.2 and then installing 12.1 .  We grabbed the newest link off the oracle site without thinking about it, but I guess microsoft specifies the version for a reason.  Powerbi doesn't appear to play nicely with 12.2

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Alrighty...Finally got it to work.

Installed 64bit runtime client 12.2. Then installed ODAC122010_x64. INTO THE SAME ORACLE HOME

By default ODAC tries to install itself into a new Oracle Home. Which doesn't work.

Hey @dramus , can you please paste in the links for the downloads you performed? Both the Runtime and ODAC?

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

It looks like Oracle have removed the links for the Oracle 12.2 Client from thrir Software downloads page. You have to request it now.

I'll try installing with the latest version and report back here.

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I couldn't get Power BI Desktop to work with the Oracle19 ODAC tools. However a clean install of The full ODAC tools for 12.2.0.1.1  did work. I didn't need to install an "Oracle Client" at all.

NOTE: Make sure to check the box about installing the drivers machine wide.

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

One more gotchya. I had to copy the oraons.dll from the main client directory into the client/bin directory.

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

More digging this morning. Found this on the Oracle website for the ODAC 19.2 install:

Machine-Wide Configuration

Machine-wide configuration is no longer supported beginning with ODAC 18c. Administrators can still place ODP.NET in the GAC and add the configuration section handler and DbProviderFactory information to machine.config manually if they wish to override ODP.NET settings for individual applications.

So it seems Power BI Desktop doesn't see the drivers because Oracle no longer installs them at the machine level. If someone smarter than me with ODP.NET knows how to add that machine level configuration, I would be interested in trying it out.

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I have ODAC 19.3 working with some help from google. I'm going to post it as a new topic, rather than hide it down here, so that it's easier to find. Once I've posted it I will come back add add a link to it.

So, I am really new to this stuff and there seems to be several files to download, can you refer me to the link in Oracel or file name of what I should download? Thanks for responding, your post is a few years old now lol 

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

ODAC 12.2.0.1.1 installer 

There are a couple of things to note when installing, see me replies above for details.

Thanks, is this the only download needed? I try this and it will for a split second show an install then nothing works?

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Yes, this is all you need.

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Try watching this Youtube video.

Installing ODAC for Power BI 

THANKS THIS WORKED!!

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Here's my post on getting ODAC 19.3 to work.

Hi! I believe I have the same issue. I installed ODAC and as a result I got a client_2 in addition to client_1 in the C:\app\client\windowsusername\product\12.2.0

Is this what you refer to as oracle home the the ODAC should have installed in client_1 folder. How do I achieve this in the installation? (I guess I have to specify some other than the default path).

I have installed a complete test environment on my virtual PC consisting of oracle database, oracle business intelligence servers. So I probaly have another scenario than end users that do not run the DB server and fusion middelware on the computer.

I have had a lot of problems during installation of these components but have always figures a way around it, so I guess you have found the answer to this final issue of the Power BI / Oracle test envrionment installation.

Thanks for the help. I now installed a second time (using VM machine I could revert to before the first installation) then I change the installation path to client_1 instead of client_2. I got past the messages saying I did not have correct ODAC installed.

I also now managed to get it work by having the two clients client_1 and client_2. I then used the downloadable PBI client and isntalled ODAC with the tick for sharing installation on the machine.

@dramus,

This might be beneficial to other community members, you may help accept the solution above. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.