Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to connect to SSAS Tabular model from PowerBi Desktop in Import mode

My SSAS Server is on premise.  I have a Tabular database that I am trying to connect to from PowerBI Desktop using Import mode.  I receive the error below.  However, if I try to connect using Connect live mode then it works without any problems.  I am wondering what can be causing this

Error_1.GIF

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback. Finally working with IT department I managed to find the issue but I still do not understand the root cause of it.  The solution was to use the fully qualified name of the analysis services server name.  let's say the instance name is 'SSAS\BI'.  This is what I used all along until I started having the connection problem for some reason.  So instead IT suggested to use 'SSAS.yourdomain.com\BI' and this worked!

It is possibly related to some windows update issues or who knows.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback. Finally working with IT department I managed to find the issue but I still do not understand the root cause of it.  The solution was to use the fully qualified name of the analysis services server name.  let's say the instance name is 'SSAS\BI'.  This is what I used all along until I started having the connection problem for some reason.  So instead IT suggested to use 'SSAS.yourdomain.com\BI' and this worked!

It is possibly related to some windows update issues or who knows.

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you for providing your solution , it may help others in community when he/she face the same issue.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

This issue is related to SSAS, it may occur at the following 3 situations:
1.The connected party did not properly respond after a period of time

2. Connected host has failed to respond (system)
3. many connection requests are submitted at the same time

First, please check if your SSAS instance can be connected in SQL Server Management Studio. If no, please contact the related team to solve it. If yes, it may be caused by the Browser Service account was changed to the domain account. Please try to change the service account to Local System and check if this issue persists or not. You can follow the below steps to complete the setting:

1. Open SQL Server Configuration Manager

2. Right click “SQL Server Browser” and choose “Properties

3. In the “Log On” Tab select “Local System” under “Built-In” account.

change built-in account.jpg

You can get full details in the following 2 documentations...

http://surendrathotamsbiproffesional.blogspot.sg/2014/10/ssas-connection-cannot-be-made-to.html 

https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2015/03/10/sql-server-fix-a-connection-cannot-be-made-to-redirector-ensure-that-sql-browser-service-is-running-microsoft-analysisservices-adomdclient/ 

Best Regards

Rena

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've verified the above but still failing to connect.  This a problem I only started having very recently.  Before that I was able to connect to the tabular database with 'Import' mode without any issues.  The problem started only a day ago.

So Currently I am able to connect from PowerBI Desktop to the tabular database with 'Connect live' mode but not with 'Import' mode.  I am also to connect using SSMS.

Hi @Anonymous, 

I would like to ask if there is any change in the related Analysis Service tabular model recently? If so , could you please remove the new added changes in the model and later check if it can be connected successfully? 

In addition, please try to make specific filter when connect to the model with import mode, and check if it works well...

import4.JPG

I want to confirm whether the connection is not successful is due to the large amount of data, some DAX formulas with complex calculations or other side.

Best Regards

Rena

Anonymous
Not applicable

are you able to connect from SQL Server Management Studio ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, connecting with SSMS works fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.