Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MichaelBI
Regular Visitor

Unable to connect to SQL Server - Logon failed for login

Hi,

I am attempting to connect to an SQL Server Database for the first time and am receiving an error message that sates:

Unable to connect

Details: "Microsoft SQL: Logon failed for login '######' due to trigger execution.

Changed database context to 'master'.

Changed language setting to us_english."

A third party has provided me acces to the SQL database and I am not firmiliar with SQL Servers.

Can anyone provide some insight into what this means?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ross,

The issue has been resolved. It turns out I needed to be 'whitelisted' to be able to access it, which I now am and it is working fine.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response Ross.

I had found that article earlier but unfortunatly it doesn't help me. It sounds like the same issue but I have no backround in sql and have just been provided with the server details, so what the article is suggesting is outside my realm of knowledge.

I will forward it to the third party who supplied the access to the server and see if they can utilise it.

In my searching I haven't been able to find any other instences where this has occured through Power BI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you provided SQL statements (or stored procedure) along with your access, or were you simply attempting to connect so you could go directly to a Table?

Based on the article, i was wondering if the issue might stem from the code being run and perhaps the solution may lie with those that wrote the code for you.

If you were going directly to a table and letting Power BI write the SQL code, that would tell a different story.  In that case, it would certainly be a strange error, but hopefully your database administrators might have some insight for you.

Hi Ross,

The issue has been resolved. It turns out I needed to be 'whitelisted' to be able to access it, which I now am and it is working fine.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.