Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VPerez
Regular Visitor

Unable to connect to PostgreSQL using ODBC

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a datasource for my PostgreSQL database using ODBC. I can't use the PostgreSQL connector because I get certificate errors (the database is in a remote server).

I downloaded and installed both 32 and 64 bit versions of the PostgreSQL ODBC driver. I set up a DSN using the ODBC data source tool for PostgreSQL Unicode (x64), which seems to work because I use that DSN on DBeaver and the database loads perfectly.

Now I try to use that DSN in Power BI Desktop: Get Data > ODBC > MyDSN. The connection seems to work and I see all the tables from my database, but when I try to load the content of any table in the Navigator panel I get this error:

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] Error while executing the query
Details:
    DataSourceKind=Odbc
    DataSourcePath=dsn=MyDSN
    OdbcErrors=Table

And no data is loaded.

Things I have tried and did not work:

- Using the UNICODE driver, same problem.

- Using the 32 bit driver, I get "architecture don't match" error.

- Using ODBC connection string instead of DSN, same problem.

I'm using the latest Power BI Desktop version (2.56.5023.1021 64-bit)

Thank you ! Smiley Happy

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @VPerez,

Current power bi alreated exist built-in PostgreSQL connector, please use specific connector to instead.

q6.PNG

In addition, you can also try to use UDL to test odbc connection.

Basics first : "UDL Test"

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I understand this post is from awhile ago, but why is the HY000 error occuring?  I have a case where this is happening for one connection but not to another.

So while continuing to use the ODBC connection, how do I correct/fix this HY000 error?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.