Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smathers
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to MS Exchange Online

Hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I want to compile statistics from staff calendars (outlook category) but am unable to connect even to just my own Outlook 365 calendar. I am connecting to MS Exchange online as the data source and this is the response I get:

the query 'https://autodiscover-s.outlook.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml' isn't approved for execution.

There is not a lot out there on issues when connecting to Exchange online or this error message. Can anyone provide some advice on what this error means exactly so I can overcome it.

thanks  (outlook, ms exchange online, autodiscover)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smathers , 

I test this in my envoiroment and expand alll reords, lists or tables in it, I didn't view this in exchange. I am not sure whether this is cuased by the content of exchange. I suggest you could connect different tables in it and try to expand reords, lists or tables in it to see whether it exist or not.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi @smathers ,

did you follow the steps below?

20200208_Connector.png

20200208_Mail.png

20200208_Signin.png

20200208_Navigator.png

Regards,

Marcus

Dortmund - Germany
If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Howdy Marcus

Yes as far as the first 2 steps go, thereafter I dont dont get anymore screens. After typing in my email address I just get spinning dots for 1 minute then I get that error message I listed. I dont even get the chance to enter my password. It is unable to find me. I have checked with our IT dept and they say everything seems fine with autodiscover + there are no problems with anyone using outlook at work. It would seem it cannot find my outlook profile online using the autodiscover service...which I dont know much about. i cant see anyone else complaining of this error alas.

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smathers , 

You said that you didn't pass the credential, right? If so, I think you could try to delete the permission in Edit Queries->datasource setting like below 579.PNG

Then you could refer to @mwegener 's suggestions and follow his steps to see whether it work or not.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

smathers
Frequent Visitor

Hi Zoe

Thanks for the reply & advice. i deleted the MS Exchange online data source.  This did change things for me. Now I when i went to connect to exchange I got asked for my credentials, which I entered email addy + login password. It thought for a while then I got the message about getting redirected to the MS Exchange autodiscover service for settings. I allowed it, then it thought for a bit longer till I got another screen message saying 'we couldnt authenticate with the credentials you are supplying...please try again'.   My email + outlook 365 login are good. I tried 3 times with no luck. 

Should I recontact the service compnay that manages our Office 365?

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smathers , 

I am not sure whether this is caused by the Exchange setting. I use microsoft account to connect it, it works well, so I suggest you could try this by microsoft account to see whether it work or not. You could refer to power-bi-get-data-from-exchange  for details. By the way, I will discuss this with other engineers about this problem, and I will inform you as soon as I get it.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

smathers
Frequent Visitor

I managed to get connected to my outlook on exchange. At this stage I dont know if it was due to IT support fixing sutom-discover or it was simply because I logged in via MS Office rather than MS Outlook. 

Anyway I was able to connect to my calendar which was great until I had a look at the fields that were there. One of the key fields I needed to do activity reporting on is the Event Category. It is not showing. any idea why this might be??  A major disappointment if that field is not being made available for reporting.

Thank you for your previous responses on my case.

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smathers , 

I test this in my envoiroment and expand alll reords, lists or tables in it, I didn't view this in exchange. I am not sure whether this is cuased by the content of exchange. I suggest you could connect different tables in it and try to expand reords, lists or tables in it to see whether it exist or not.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

smathers
Frequent Visitor

Hi Zoe - thank you for your last reply. I decided to re-link the calndar table again but this time not rush it and I could see the Category list field there, which I expanded and now can see the categories on the calendar bookings. I am a bit rusty on my PBI studies. 

I just have one more question. Is there a superior way to connect to staff calendars other than have them all as 30 seperate calendar tables (combining them in a query)?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.