Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SR2019
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to Data Lake Gen 2 based Databricks table from Power BI Desktop

Hi,

I have two tables defined within my Databricks Cluster on Azure.

1. Table 1 is pointing to local file storage.

2. Table 2 is pointing to a Azure Data Lake Gen 2 storage. This storage is mounted using persistent configuration. 

Within Power BI Desktop, I could successfully connect and Direct Query to Table 1 however I get error while connecting to Table 2.  

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][Hardy] (35) Error from server: error code: '0' error message: 'com.google.common.util.concurrent.UncheckedExecutionException: com.databricks.backend.daemon.data.common.InvalidMountException: Error while using path /mnt/xxx for resolving path '/yyy.csv' within mount at '/mnt/xxx'.'.
Details:
DataSourceKind=Spark
DataSourcePath=https://....
OdbcErrors=Table

I am basically attempting a setup where Power BI will Direct Query to Databricks Cluster which in turn will access Azure Data Lake Gen 2 Storage.

Any advise on resolution?

Thanks,

S

7 REPLIES 7
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

have you been able to figure this out?  i am running into the same issue

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @SR2019 ,

Please refer to this document:

Power BI Desktop customers cannot access dataflows stored in an Azure Data Lake Storage Account unless they are the owner of the dataflow, or have been authorized to the CDM folder in the lake.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

My scenario does not use Power BI dataflow to connect to DL Gen 2 directly.

I am working on scenario to connect to Databricks table from Power BI. I could connect to natively hosted table ok however table hosted on \mnt (in my case, DL Gen2 location) is throwing error.  

Thanks

S

me too, got the same error and the same scenario

@SR2019  did you find any solutions or answers?

Not yet. I am not 100% sure but it looks like connection to "tables that use mounted storage" is not yet available. 

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

ok, the solution is to make a change to your cluster configuration...

details are here

https://businessintelligist.com/2019/04/11/how-to-make-azure-databricks-work-with-azure-data-lake-st...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.