Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RyanBarkley
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to 1 Shared Dataset

I was updating some reports this morning based on a shared dataset and after updating 2 reports, I am no longer able to access the centrally shared data set.  I have rebooted and am able to connect to other shared datasets, but when I try to connect to this one, my Power BI Desktop locks and then gives fatal error.  The reports are still working in Power BI service, and I am able to download a report based on the shared dataset, but when I open it, again it crashes Power BI Desktop.  I have a QA version of the dataset and am able to connect to that one just fine. I have replaced the data set and refreshed it throw our data gateway, but still am unable to connect to the shared dataset.  The updates I was making were adjusting filters and not the model.  Also tried to revert to previous version by downloading a good copy from power bi service with the same results.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RyanBarkley
Frequent Visitor

I was able to resolve this issue by signing out of Power BI Desktop and Signing back in.  Once i signed back in, it was able to connect to the shared data set without crashing Power BI Desktop.  This doesn't make sense to me because I was able to connect to other Datasets in Power BI Service, but glad it resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RyanBarkley
Frequent Visitor

I was able to resolve this issue by signing out of Power BI Desktop and Signing back in.  Once i signed back in, it was able to connect to the shared data set without crashing Power BI Desktop.  This doesn't make sense to me because I was able to connect to other Datasets in Power BI Service, but glad it resolved the issue.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@RyanBarkley ,

Please check if the dataset owner has selected the option below:

power-bi-share-report-allow-users.png 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yuta-msft , I am the owner of the dataset.  I have gone into the permissions of the dataset and verified that I am still the owner.  I also checked that a security group that I am in is also listed as the owner of the dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors