Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sundaynero
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect one report to multiple datasets stored in Power BI Service

Hello, 

Since December 2020 update Power BI allows to connect to multiple datasets by stablishing a mixed mode (direct query/live/ import mode etc...), as explained here (video)

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/directquery-for-power-bi-datasets-and-azure-analysis-servic...

However, despite having the latest release installed and having reinstalled Power BI Desktop, I am unable to use this feature. Whenever I connect to a dataset from one WOrkspace in Power BI Service, the option Get Data (as many others) is no longer available, just as it's always been in Power BI desktop prior to the Dec'2020 release.

The curious part is my colleague (same team) can use this feature perfectly and create power bi reports connecting to multiple Power BI Datasets in power BI service, and once created I can open them, and edit them normally. But again, I cant create this type of mix mode connection files to several datasets, just open them once they have been created.

Is anyone having the same issue or does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Sundaynero , This happening even after enabling the preview feature - Using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) ?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-in/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DistOps
Frequent Visitor

Not Yet 😞.  

I'm working with Company IT and Micosoft Support on a seperate issue that I think is related.  I'll update if both issues are resolved.

Late with the response, but the issue was resolved without my knowledge of what happened for multiple datasets in 1 report. 

The 2nd issue I was having was installing a gateway.  My account is not authorized to install software onto PC, so IT had to remote in and install.  IT is not in the same Azure Directory as mine, so when they logged in to install, it would fail because of a authentication error.  

DistOps
Frequent Visitor

Greetings, 

I have DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) enabled, but I'm unable to connect more than 1 Dataset.

I connect to the first dataset, select the 2nd dataset, and this prompts me to move the 1st into DirectQuery which appears to work, but then I get prompted for SSO after selecting the 2nd dataset which seems unusual.  I select my credentials and then get an unable to connect error. 

If I go into Data Source Settings, I'm allowed to change between the datasets; but not have more than 1.

DistOps_0-1650292301619.png

1st dataset in direct query:

DistOps_2-1650292649020.png

I started a .pbix file last month with the same datasets, without any issues connecting both.  I could use the old file, but I'm trying to add a 3rd dataset.

Thank you!

I am having this exact same problem now... Did you manage to solve this eventually?

Sundaynero
Frequent Visitor

Woah, that was fast!

I had not activated that option indeed, and your post saved the day 🙂

Hats off!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Sundaynero , This happening even after enabling the preview feature - Using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) ?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-in/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.