Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

carloscantu
Advocate I
Advocate I

Unable to connect from Desktop to Azure Analysis Services after Windows AD password is updated.

Hello - Lately we have noticed that multiple Power BI Desktop get the following error message after updating their Windows AD password.

carloscantu_0-1613661892087.png

As this is starting to be a recurrent issue I wanted to ask if someone have experienced a similar issue and if this is something that we can fix from the "Power BI side" or if this is something that needs to be resolved by the team responsible for Windows AD authentication.

I also wanted to share with you the work around that we are applying to temporarily solve this issue as this might be useful for you if you are experiencing the same issue.

Ask the user to close Power BI desktop files and open a new one,  go to Files/Options and Settings/Data source settings/ Select each data source/Edit Permissions/Credentials/Edit/Sign in as different user/Pick personal account/Save/Ok/Close and repeat for each data source

Thank you in advance for your valuable inputs!
2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@carloscantu

Power BI Desktop connects to Azure Analysis Services using Active Directory Universal Authentication with MFA support. Users are prompted to sign in to Azure on the first connection. Users must sign in to Azure with an account that is included in a server administrator or database role.

Please check if your version of Power BI Desktop appears similar to the one in the link below, please refer to this link to see if it can help you, https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-BI-Desktop-November-20-Release-Unable-to-Connect-to-Az... 

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your reply Caitlyn, in the past we have succesfully applied the solution suggested in the link, but this is a different situation. My main question is if there is a way to avoid the need to apply the  workaround that I described after a user updates his password, basically if there is a why for Power BI and Analysis Services to automatically identify that the password was updated and grant access accordingly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.