Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BrianHo168
Frequent Visitor

Unable to configure Data Source in Data Gateway

Hi,

I am having issue to configure data source within the data gateway.  I installed the On-premises Data Gateway on my server behind the firewall.  The data gateway is NOT installed on the SQL database server.  Do I need to install the On-Premises Data Gateway on the database server.  

The On-Premises Data Gateway was installed successful on a server inside the domain.  It is not a domain controller.  When I tried to configure the data source, I received attached errors.  Any idea how to trouble shoot this?2019-03-13_16-45-57.gif2019-03-13_16-47-20.gif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I figure out where to remove the data source name.  It is on the right hand side hidden next to the data source name.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrianHo168 

"I installed the On-premises Data Gateway on my server behind the firewall.  The data gateway is NOT installed on the SQL database server.  Do I need to install the On-Premises Data Gateway on the database server.  "

You need to install the the On-Premises Data Gateway on the database server. 

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the advise.  Will install the Data Gateway on the database server then try again.

Installing on the SQL server should not be necessary. In fact, it cannot be necessary if you install 2+ gateways as part of a cluster to maximize availabilty. You need to figure out the root cause.

IMHO it is not advisable to install on the SQL server itself as the gateway app can be a bit of a resource hog when processing requests from the service, and that can impact the performance of the SQL server itself. The Gateway will send nice and tidy SQL statements to the server, which the SQL server will quickly process and send the relevant data back. The Gateway will then process all further transformation commands locally that cannot be processed by the SQL server (transformations not supported by the server, or mashups from other sources.) and sends the final blob of data back to the PBI Service.

By installing it on the SQL SErver itself, you've put 100% of that workload on that one server.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Thanks for your advise. 

I install the On-Premise Data Gateway to a differebt server which acts as a gateway to connect to my SQL dataserver internally. 

Now, I run into a different issue which I cannot remove the data sources under the Gateway Clusters.  The Server and Database fields are grey out and would not allow me to make changes.  There is no option to remove the data source name neither.  How can I remove the invalid data sources then replace with one which points to the different server?

I figure out where to remove the data source name.  It is on the right hand side hidden next to the data source name.  Thanks.

edhans
Super User
Super User

That is a very generic error unfortunately. Are you sure you have the server and database name set correctly? Can you access the SQL server from the server you installed the gateway on? Is the gateway in Enterprise mode?

And lastly, have you reviewed this article?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.