Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Robi2
Frequent Visitor

Unable to combine paged web api results and use auto refresh

Hi,

I am trying to create some code that get paginated data from elastic search to create a dataset.

This works great locally but the refresh fails on my Personal Gateway on this error:

[Unable to combine data] Section1/Users/AutoRemovedColumns1 is accessing data sources that have privacy levels which cannot be used together. Please rebuild this data combination.

I have already read that the solution for this should be separating each data call to its own function, and then creating a query that calls these functions. However, I still can't get it to work and I get the same error.

Perhaps I need to create the Power Query functions in some special way that I didn't do.

Here are my 2 functions:

let
	FnAnalyticsFirstRequest = (scroll as text, size as number) =>
		let
			Response = Json.Document(Web.Contents("http://<elasticserver>", 
					[Query=[scroll=scroll, size=Text.From(size)], RelativePath="/users/_search"]))
		in
			Response
in
	FnAnalyticsFirstRequest
let
    FnAnalyticsPagedRequest = (scroll as text, scrollId as text, cacheBust as text)=>
		let
			Response = Json.Document(Web.Contents(
				"http://<elasticsearch server>", 
				[IsRetry=true, Query=[scroll=scroll, scroll_id=scrollId], RelativePath="/_search/scroll"]))
		in
			Response

in
    FnAnalyticsPagedRequest

And here is my main query(Users):

let
FetchElasticsearchData= (CallsRemaining, InScrollId, ListOfResults, KeepAlive) =>
let
Response = Function.Invoke(FnAnalyticsPagedRequest, {KeepAlive, InScrollId, "CacheBust" & Number.ToText(CallsRemaining)}),
OutScrollId = Response[_scroll_id],
CombinedResults = List.Combine({ListOfResults, Response[hits][hits]})
in
if CallsRemaining > 0
then @FetchElasticsearchData(CallsRemaining- 1, OutScrollId, ListOfResults & {Response[hits][hits]}, KeepAlive)
else ListOfResults,

DocumentsPerRequest = 5,
KeepAliveTime = "3m",
StartScrollQueryResult = Function.Invoke(FnAnalyticsFirstRequest, {KeepAliveTime, DocumentsPerRequest}),
Result = FetchElasticsearchData(Number.RoundDown(StartScrollQueryResult[hits][total]/DocumentsPerRequest), StartScrollQueryResult[_scroll_id], {StartScrollQueryResult[hits][hits]}, KeepAliveTime)

in
Result

This is how it visually looks in Power BI:

Screenshot_1.png

Do you know what could I be missing?

Thanks,

Robert

3 REPLIES 3
prathy
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi,

Go to Power BI options and modify privacy levels, change them to Ignore the Privacy levels and potentially improve performance. Remeber

Security Note: Selecting Ignore the Privacy levels and potentially improve performance may improve performance; however, Power BI Desktop cannot ensure the privacy of data merged into the Power BI Desktop file.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-privacy-levels/

Robi2
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply but I have already tried doing that, it has no effect and I still get the same error. I even tried changing the privacy settings for the data source and played around with all of them (private, public, organizational, none), but still the error occurs every time.

Robi2
Frequent Visitor

I have tried many different ways to do this in code, but in the end I get the same error...

Did anyone manage to get something like this to work? Or should I assume that it is just unsupported...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.