Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FrederikDec
Frequent Visitor

Unable to choose Workspace when publishing from Power BI Desktop

Hello

I've been working on a report and publishing it to a workspace for a while. Now I want to "move" this to production by publishing it to another Workspace. Unfortunately, when I click the "publish" button in Power BI desktop, I don't get the dialog to choose the other workspace.

I know I've had this before. The workspace I've been publishing to is "My Workspace".

With another pbix file, which contains the data source used by the report, I've been doing the same thing. There, I always get the dialog to choose where to publish to.

I've already closed PBI desktop, logged in & out of my account, downloaded the pbix file from the service. But nothing seems to work.

Is this a known issue?

Regards

Frederik

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FrederikDec,

1. Please open Power BI service with the same account used in Power BI desktop, check which workspaces are available, and you can test if you are able to publish pbix file via Get Data -> Files in Power BI service. 

2. Please check which data source does the report get data from. If it's connecting to Power BI dataset, you can only publish that report to the same Power BI service workspace that contains the dataset being used.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

FrederikDec
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyun

The second point was the issue. When the report is connecting to a Power BI datasource, the dialog does not appear because you can only publish to that workspace. Seems logic!! Thanks!

Regards

Frederik

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FrederikDec,

Will close this thread. Thank you. Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
FrederikDec
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyun Yu

Yes you can close the issue. Thanks for the extra information.

Regards

Frederik

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FrederikDec,

You can go through this article to know more about connecting to Power BI datasets: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

It looks like the issue is resolved now, right? If it is, may I close this thread? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

FrederikDec
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyun

The second point was the issue. When the report is connecting to a Power BI datasource, the dialog does not appear because you can only publish to that workspace. Seems logic!! Thanks!

Regards

Frederik

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FrederikDec,

1. Please open Power BI service with the same account used in Power BI desktop, check which workspaces are available, and you can test if you are able to publish pbix file via Get Data -> Files in Power BI service. 

2. Please check which data source does the report get data from. If it's connecting to Power BI dataset, you can only publish that report to the same Power BI service workspace that contains the dataset being used.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

OK, how then about sharing a report that uses a dataset from one workspace with other workspaces? Microsoft says that this is possible. Unfortunatelly documentation provided lacks clarity.

gvg
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Well, after some testing I think I found it out. Do not attempt to publish report that uses a dataset from another workspace. Instead go to your workspace in PBI Service and upload your pbix file from there. 

Fanz
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for posting gvg! I ran into the same issue and found this thread via search and your comment solved my issue. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.