Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

augustindelaf
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Unable to access to SharePoint Folder with Files

Hi, 

I am currently struggling to access to excel files in a sharepoint environment.

The context : multiple excel (.xlsx) files of the same type in a SharePoint folder, I try to access to their content (into one single table) but not possible.

Can anyone help me please ?

I already did that 3 years ago, successfully with a "SharePoint.Files" method, the context was exactly THE SAME.

But now it does'nt work ! So frustrating.

I even tried SharePoint Folder, SharePoint Online List and SharePoint List. None of them works. 

I tried the root URL, the specific URL, the mid specific, the mid root ....

I even tried with Dataflow ...no changes. I can provide SCREENSHOTS

Can anyone help me please ?

--

My final URL :

COMPANYXXXXworkplace.sharepoint.com/sites/lub-metiers/lubmarine/tma/Documents%20partages/Forms/AllItems.aspx?csf=1&amp%3Be=kW9yIL&RootFolder=%2Fsites%2Flub-metiers%2Flubmarine%2Ftma%2FDocuments%20partages%2FDRAIN%20OIL%20REPORTS&FolderCTID=0x01200097EB595E2919AF45910AAE8B12F6B151

--

The URLs I tried : 

COMPANYXXXXworkplace.sharepoint.com/

COMPANYXXXXworkplace.sharepoint.com/sites

COMPANYXXXXworkplace.sharepoint.com/sites/lub-metiers

--

The method that worked on another project with exact same context 3 years ago : 

let
Source = SharePoint.Files("https://COMPANYZZZZZgroup.sharepoint.com/T2P"),

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, you can answer that better than me I guess 😛 I do get the account option screen when I use your site, obviously I cannot go further but here you should login with your Office 365 account:

image.png

Did you get this screen? And what account did you use? (And just to be totally sure: this is not a on premise SharePoint instance right?)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Are you logged into Power BI Desktop with an account that has access to the Sharepoint environment?

https://COMPANYXXXXworkplace.sharepoint.com/sites/lub-metiers/ should be working with the 'Sharepoint Folder'  connector, it works for me anyway. Can you provide screenshots?

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Kudo's are welcome 🙂

hi @JarroVGIT 

Thanks for your kind help.

>> Yes, my pbi desktop has access to the sharePoint environment (I have another table in that file that successfully gets data from a list into that same SharePoint, so i'm 100% sure it's not an issue)

Actually, I can access to the root through a "SharePoint.Tables" request (screenshot):

I can access to the root of the sharePoint. Where should I go now ?  When I go to "Documents", I can see my files but I am unable to access to their content.I can access to the root of the sharePoint. Where should I go now ? When I go to "Documents", I can see my files but I am unable to access to their content.

Then I have multiple options and I choose "Documents" because it enables me to see the names of my files.

But, there is no way to deep dive into their content ! 

There should be a column named "Content", to be expanded, no ?

Thx

That doesn't seem right, your M code refers to SharePoint.Tables but when I try it it refers to SharePoint.Files:

image.png

Are you using an up to date PowerBI Desktop version? And did you select SharePoint Folder (not list!)?

EDIT: when i try to connect to a Sharepoint Online List, i get a similar view as you. Seems you need to connect to a SharePoint folder.

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Kudo's are welcome 🙂

Hi @JarroVGIT 

I cannot connect to a sharePoint.Files

I tried SharePoint.Tables because sharePoint.Files doesn't work.

I have an error when trying SharePoint.FilesI have an error when trying SharePoint.Files

My version of Power BI is November 2019. 

"Version: 2.75.5649.961 64-bit (novembre 2019)" 

Your site URL seems off. Please try replacing it with the URL i gave in the first reply

e.g. https://totalworkplace.sharepoint.com/sites/lub-metiers/

(note the / at the end!) Perhaps it is best to start a new query, and select Sharepoint Folder with the above URL. If that doesn't work, please post screenshots of what you are seeing.

Hi,

I did exactly like you said.

> New Query>SharePoint Folder (a)SharePoint FolderSharePoint Folder

Then there is an error (b)

Details: "Access to the resource is forbidden."Details: "Access to the resource is forbidden."

Well, you can answer that better than me I guess 😛 I do get the account option screen when I use your site, obviously I cannot go further but here you should login with your Office 365 account:

image.png

Did you get this screen? And what account did you use? (And just to be totally sure: this is not a on premise SharePoint instance right?)

Hi @JarroVGIT,

I don't know why, but now the query (Sharepoint.Files) works.

My client made some changes for me to have access to the root url of the sharepoint.

Now, it seems to be ok.

The request was good, the credentials were good, everything was Ok.

Just needed to clear and re-fill data source settings, or start from a new blank file, and maybe access needed to be root-level.

many thx anyway 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.